289 engine mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 engine mounting

i dropped the engine & transmission back in last night, in the manual it says to use the back holes on the engine mount brackets, & if it’s Rhd to use both left holes to bolt through. So did all that, have new bell housing brackets that bolt to the crossmember, was a job lining everything up. Should mention , it’s a 61 hawk with 289free flow engine & flightomatic trans, & is a rhd car. Everything looks ok, but the fuel pump is very close to the mounting bracket, I have also a glass bowl pump, carter I think, that fits a bit better, but still close, seems like I should be using the right side holes, would be interested in any feedback, regards, Cus
    sigpic

The Transmission mounts have 2 bolts through the end of them that go to the bell housing. The holes are off center and can be flipped and it will put the engine too far to the rear . (there is a right and left. Be sure they are the right way. )

On C/K the bolts are a real pain to access. Use a 1/2 inch drive and long extension from the outside of the frame, it makes it way easier to get on the bolts.
    Last edited by (S); 12-18-2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Yes, got them the right way, old mount had an “L” on it.
      It's more the left to right position.
      Last edited by Cus63; 12-18-2019, 12:30 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

If you are sure everything is correct , Cut a pie shape out of the top, and heat it, tap it together. Weld it up.

Comment

This is where pre...dismember photos would have been a good idea.
          Everyone not used to doing things like this would be well advised to take lotsa pictures as things come apart.
          That way, things go back together much more easily.

Mike

Comment

If you use the LHD Holes to the Right, that will put the Engine and fuel Pump CLOSER to the Frame due to the ANGLE of the C & K Mount Bracket and make it worse.

The Standard Carter Pump should fit fine, flattening the corners of the Engine Mount Bracket should only necessary when useing the large Carter Super pump, used on the R1, R2, R3 and R4 Engines.

The Rear Engine Mounts should also go to the LEFT on a RHD Car, and I would guess (never owning a RHD) that the approx. 1/2" Spacer would be used on the Right RearMount to the Frame.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When you mention the rear engine mounts are you referring to the bell housing mounts?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                This is where pre...dismember photos would have been a good idea.
                Everyone not used to doing things like this would be well advised to take lotsa pictures as things come apart.
                That way, things go back together much more easily.

Mike
                Have many pictures, but different engine & pump, shouldn't presume, I don't thing that's a constructive comment.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post

Have many pictures, but different engine & pump, shouldn't presume, I don't thing that's a constructive comment.
                  Hmm, you don't "thing" it's constructive..?
                  Well, I think that it's very constructive. Most don't, so good on you.
                  A Stude engine is a Stude engine...period. The pump...most of those pumps...the lower cover can be rotated, so the fitting just may clear without cutting up the car.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
                    When you mention the rear engine mounts are you referring to the bell housing mounts?
                    Yes they are Called "Rear Engine Mounts" because that is what they do, mounted on the "Converter Housing".

But I think my Son Mike "(S)" in Post #2, might have nailed it.
                    Those Mounts can go on Backwards or on the Wrong Side, OR even be Lark Type 1547202, 203 instead of the Correct 1544970, 971 which will re-position the Engine incorrectly.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is a free flow motor with a later model pump.
                      I have restored many cars & motorbikes, so "I am used to doing things like this",
                      but always after advice from people who know more about a specific model & appreciate any help.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rich,
                        There wasn't any spacer previously, & the new ones located fine without the any spacer.
                        They are the correct way around, bolt holes offset to the back, I think if this was wrong the front mounts would pull up short,
                        it's more the left to right adjustment, would be fixed if i used the right side front mount holes, but the manual states to use the left
                        on a RHD, anyway, with using the Carter type pump, I linished the mount bracket a bit & it clears now by about 5mm, so should be fine,

thanks Cus
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X