Clocking a Stewart Warner Fuel Gauge Sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Clocking a Stewart Warner Fuel Gauge Sender

My being a CASO (my depression era dad would be proud) and needing a fuel sender unit (out of four cars, one fuel sender sorta worked) and knowing that I needed a Stewart Warner sender I thought I'll just get a generic one. That was great until I saw that there is a right and left handed version. Which one will work? Last weekend I sent a query to Stewart Warner and Monday morning I had a response. The picture depicts how to determine which one to use.

You may already know this but senders have different ohm values which must be matched to the gauge being used.

Comment

If you looked at your Studebaker Tank, you would see that a Left Hand Sender will not work, due to the closeness to the Left Wall.

A 6 Volt Sender ('47-'55), DOES have a different OHM rating than a 12 Volt ('56-'64) Unit, and needs to Match the Gauge.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Good responses there and I should have pointed that out, I am using a Hawk Dash with SW instruments so the resistance values will be correct.

Comment

There should be a "tab" on the original cork gasket. That points right. The sending unit only lines up with the holes in one direction, much like the crankshaft drive pulleys.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
          X