Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Bad. I think it was Porsche that tried that and it didn't work out too well.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Originally posted by 63looks59 View Post
    hello.. some folks say that a self lubricating sealed bearing wont last long at the input shaft--- IS this true? and Why ?
    Three letters, IMS! Check the Porsche websites for it, you won't use a sealed bearing after that in a transmission.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Sounds like the Jeepers have already broke this ground and, like many things Studebaker, some swear by them and some some don't. Probably do well to do some reading on a few Jeep forums.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    When you put it all back together make sure the input shaft collar is installed with drain dimple aligned with case drain hole.original bearing was open, no shield or seal. the bearing part number will reflect this, IE 307, open brg. 307S seal, 307SS Steel Shield. peruse a bearing catalog when you get a chance, lots of useful info. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• studebakerkid
    replied
    I would take off the inner seal. With more modern lubricants used your grandkids should not have to worry about replacement.

Leave a comment:

• nvonada
    replied
    Jeep guys fight this holy war all the time. Some people swear by using a sealed bearing and taking off the inner seal so gear lube can get in. Odds are ANYTHING you do will out-last us.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Most modern motorcycle wheel bearings are sealed, but do not operate at engine (higher) RPM, as does the T86 input shaft, so not sure that's a good comparison. OTOH, if the bell housing is properly aligned, the OEM bearing is usually good for 100,000 miles, so I have heard. Anyway, if nobody else has tried it, you could be the first. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hopefully, you will get back to us in 100,000 miles or so, for a full report.

Leave a comment:

• jts359
    replied
    I have removed the seal on many bearings over the years on all kinds of applications , I just did it on the rear bearing in my T-86 , Ed

Leave a comment:

• T86-- IS IT Good or Bad, to Use of a SEALED bearing at Input shaft

hello.. some folks say that a self lubricating sealed bearing wont last long at the input shaft--- IS this true? and Why ?
    Last edited by 63looks59; 12-09-2019, 09:23 PM.
Working...
X