Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

McCulloch Supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: McCulloch Supercharger

Gentlemen & Ladies,
    I am approaching the installation of the VS57 blower on my '57 Packard Clipper Wagon and found a 16 oz can of SANTOTRAC fluid. It is not listed as to viscosity weight or any other information. My question is, has anyone (Brad?) used this fluid in their supercharger rather than the usual ATF type "A"?
    Their website has a lot of information http://santotrac.com/products/santotrac/and once the correct viscosity is determined (from someone who has actually used it before) then it looks like it could enhance (more boost due to less slippage) and even improve the blower's performance.
    Any information is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, Bill

No. The people who redid mine as well as John Erbs recommended Type F fluid. I have Valvolene type F in mine

Comment

Both Ted Harbit and Phil Harris have told me that the only thing to use is the Ford type F, I've got the good stuff made by Ford which is getting harder to find. Bill

Comment

Stantotrac was for Paxtons in the late 60s early 70s for really high revving engines. I wouldn't for one trust the age of it, and for another thing, it really isn't needed on the one I rebuilt for you. Like everyone else has already mentioned, use type F.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Just forget the old recommendation of Type "A"!

If you think you got lucky and found some, Forget it!
          Any Newer ATF Type "A" today is watered down, non-regulated junk that no current Standard exists for any longer, or too Old to use.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ford, type "A", not "FA", was the last fluid tested and approved by Paxton for use in the ball drive superchargers. Probably over 15 years ago, I ordered a case from a Ford dealer parts department. It took a few days to get it.
            Mike

Comment

Thanks guys. Type "F " it is.
              Cheers, Bill

Comment

I used Sanotrac in a R2 blower for a good 15 years and had no failures. Good stuff. Didn't know it was still available.
                Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Let me rephrase what I said about using it. If you got FRESH santotrac from the manufacturer, you wouldn't hurt a thing from using it. Otherwise an unknown age lubricant should never be used in anything except for storage purposes. Never used oil as it could become acidic.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948

Comment

One last question, Brad. If I were to use fresh Santotrac, as per their website, what viscosity would you recommend to get maximum boost due to minimal slippage? Would it be noticeable on the street compared with ATF "F"?
                    Bill

Comment

Because so many folks are saying type "F", I'll check my stash, but I'm pretty sure it's type "A". I'm emphatic, Ford type "A", not "FA", was the last fluid tested and approved by Paxton. I think I still have a couple of gallons in sealed quart bottles, and intend to continue to use it. Opened containers may allow moisture to contaminate the fluid, although I don't think it absorbs water like brake fluid does. Perhaps it is difficult to find Ford Type "A" ATF now.
                      Mike

Comment

Transmission fluid is equivalent to 10wt motor oil in viscosity. I would feel more comfortable with 20wt if you can get it in the Santotrac. Just ask them what they would recommend. What does it read on the old label? That might give you a clue.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Because so many folks are saying type "F", I'll check my stash, but I'm pretty sure it's type "A". I'm emphatic, Ford type "A", not "FA", was the last fluid tested and approved by Paxton. I think I still have a couple of gallons in sealed quart bottles, and intend to continue to use it. Opened containers may allow moisture to contaminate the fluid, although I don't think it absorbs water like brake fluid does. Perhaps it is difficult to find Ford Type "A" ATF now.
                          Mike
                          I have NEVER heard of "Ford" A", of course they would have sold it back in the Day, but "A" was just a generic First Version of ATF for ALL makes, not just Ford when Auto Transmissions first came out.
                          It was replaced with "F" for '72 and later Fords MANY years ago.

Since early Ford-O-Matics were Borg Warner and later Ford versions very similar, it just makes sense that "F" is the proper type for our Transmissions and Superchargers. it has a more "Grippy" action than the "slip and slide" Dexron Type for GM Trannies.

As has been said here, many Supercharger rebuilder's have recommended it.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ford Motorcraft type F fluid has a little higher temperature breakdown threshold than does suppliers like Pennzoil etc. Use Motorcraft brand if you can get it.
                            james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                            X