Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brngarage
    replied
    Kenny, could you please measure the diameter and post it here. I'll measure a spare Studebaker distributor. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    For some reason I had come to believe that it was no compatible with a Speedster, or I would have long ago tried it in my Speedster. I think that it was related to the fact that the Speedster has an 8000 rpm unit, while all subsequent units were 6000 rpm. Or on the other hand, maybe it was because when I found a used unit during the car's restoration, during the 70's, and never looked back. I remember at one time I had a half dozen, or more, units that I would test in the car, using a head unit known to be good.

For some reason I came to believe that it was for a 1956 Golden Hawk. Whoever told me what it fit seemed to me to be creditable, at the time. For forty years I hung onto it, waiting for a situation where it would be put to good use. I didn't want it sitting in someone's parts stash, I wanted it put to good use. I knew it was special because I haven't seen another NOS unit, of any kind, during the time that I owned it. It seemed to me that Kenny's 56 would be that good fit. My hope is still that it be put to it's proper use, whatever that may be.

Bill
    Last edited by Hallabutt; 12-11-2019, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    Looking at the rotor mount, it appears to be for a Delco distributor. But Delcos were installed on just about every American made car, if I am not mistaken.
    Yes, most GM, Studebaker, Checker, et al; but Joe, I've never seen a Delco on a FoMoCo or Mopar.

If it fits a Delco V8 distributor, what are the chances it would work in a Speedster? I am looking for a working sending unit for a Speedster.
    Yes, No, Maybe. The sending unit is not voltage sensitive, so if it matches the Studebaker Delco cap diameter, you should be good to go. However, there are GM Delco which are different diameter than Stude Delco.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    If it fits a Delco V8 distributor, what are the chances it would work in a Speedster? I am looking for a working sending unit for a Speedster.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Looking at the rotor mount, it appears to be for a Delco distributor. But Delcos were installed on just about every American made car, if I am not mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Since Delco made distributors for most GMs, Studes, Packards, et al, the only way to know for certain is to get a Packard V8 Delco distributor and see if it fits.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• S2Deluxe
    replied
    Originally posted by MChance View Post
    According to a 1958 Stewart Warner catalog the 762-K sending unit (called a sending switch by Stewart Warner) fits Delco Remy V8 except "high tower" (whatever that is)
    It's not anything that was ever used in a 56J, is it? I am curious, surely someone here must know?

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    The '56J came with an Autolite, but it's not unusual to find a Delco in there.
    Well Jack, it sounds like, if he has a line on one of these "not unusual" Delcos? Kenney could use it, in his '56J, with this Drive unit to get a working tach?
    Or, am I missing something?
    ​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​Mark

Leave a comment:

• drrotor
    replied
    Originally posted by MChance View Post
    According to a 1958 Stewart Warner catalog the 762-K sending unit (called a sending switch by Stewart Warner) fits Delco Remy V8 except "high tower" (whatever that is)
    Here is a link to the catalog. (post #290) where I found the info
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...224785/page-10
    Thanks, Mark!

Leave a comment:

• MChance
    replied
    Here is a link to the catalog. (post #290) where I found the info
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...224785/page-10
    Last edited by MChance; 12-08-2019, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drrotor
    replied
    Originally posted by (S) View Post
    Looks like the 1957-61 , but how many wires on the plug? .
    3 wires on the plug.

Leave a comment:

• drrotor
    replied
    Ha! The Culprit has revealed himself! Get the Torches and Pitchforks! Bill-- I wasn't going to call you out... you Rascal! Anyway, what if it's like, really, really. really rare and worth a THOUSAND DOLLARS! I was hoping to make a THOUSAND DOLLARS on it! Oh, well.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    I'm the culprit who sold Kenny the sending unit. It had been in my stash for forty years. I knew it was not Speedster, and was pretty sure that it was not later Hawk, so when I was told that is was 56 Golden Hawk I believed it. I told Kenny that if it turned out to be something other then what I had been told it was that I would take it back.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Autolite and Delco manufactured most of the distributors. Stewart-Warner made tachometer drives for both. The '56J came with an Autolite, but it's not unusual to find a Delco in there. What is the inside diameter and outside diameter of your tach drive?

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 12-07-2019, 10:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Markham
    replied
    Looking to sell it? If so, how much are you asking?

Bo

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Possibly from an aftermarket Stewart-Warner tachometer set up, for a non-Studebaker/Packard vehicle?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X