Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

700R4/4l60E Automatic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700R4/4l60E Automatic Question

Can anyone tell me what the round can-sized thing is on these transmissions that stick out the side? I've seen some pics with them located on the driver's side and others on the passenger side. Here's a pic for reference:

http://raptortransmissions.com/700r4-1.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

That is the 2nd gear Servo, replacing that with the stronger "Vette"
    servo will greatly increase the life of your trans.

http://www.sonnax.com/instructions/77911-03K-IN.pdf

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks Tom. This particular 4L60E is out of a '96 Vette. I'm having clearance issues with the servo and the passenger side tunnel on my Avanti. Guess taking a hammer to the tranny won't do me any better than taking one to the tunnel

Comment

Yah, I would advise against the BFH mod to the trans.

How do you plan on controling the 4L60E? You know that its a computer
        controlled transmission. All cases in the 700 family have that same
        protrusion. My dad had my Hawks '89 700 R4 installed in his '69 Avanti
        and there supposedly wasnt any issues such as this. Its possible they
        changed the floor in the Avanti II. You can try cutting the floor to
        give a clearance area (give enough room for the trans to wiggle) and
        then make an aluminum hat to seal the floor back up (a thrift store
        cooking pot cut up?). You might be able to slide the trans over to
        the drivers side at the rear to give a little more room, just be sure
        to check the driveline angle to see if its within specs.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

As far as I know, the only issues about putting a 700-R4 in an Avanti II are the stock exhaust pipes, the driveshaft and the console shift mechanism. It's practically a piece of cake. There are no clearance problems regarding the body
          My car is a 70 and even the stock rear trans cross member fit the 700. I found by reversing ends on the two front exhaust pieces and having them expanded to fit the head pipes, solved the wider 700 pan problem. You have to enlarge the holes in the frame for the pipes also. The drive shaft had to be shortened and my shifter came out of an early 90's Firebird.

Bob Johnstone

http://www.studebaker-info.org
          55 President State Sedan
          64 GT Hawk
          70 Avanti (R3)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Well of course my situation is somewhat "custom" -as they usually are...

I installed the LT1/4L60E (have a new Painless harness for it) and moved it back almost 2" in order to gain proper clearance for the Phantom R&P and dual cooling fans. This is probably the reason for the clearance issue. The servo is just barely touching the tunnel -but I know it's going to be quite percussive.

I was really hoping to avoid modifying the floor, but sculpting the floor would certainly be much easier than modifying the oil pan or R&P mounting.

Comment

The tunnel needs to be cut out to make room for the Servo. I cut mine and then covered it with a 1/4" thick piece of rubber, insulated from the inside and covered with the carpet it becomes invisible inside the car.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

Good idea with the rubber Ernie and thanks for those pics of your linkage a few weeks back.

I guess I could always market the modification as a custom service hatch for the servo!!

Comment

I hope to hear your opinion on the Phantom Suspension and steering. BTW, the car looks great.

ErnieR

Comment

Has anybody ran the phantom stuff with stock Stude bellcrank and tie rods?

Comment

Buddymander-

I don't think you could combine the two systems and retain proper geometry. Plus the only advantage you'd really gain is the addition of ball joints, standard bushings, and a few less pounds.

The Phantom kit uses a Flaming River Omni rear-steer rack, Ford Granada HD spindles, after market Moog upper tubular control arms, custom made lower tubular control arms, standard ball joints and bushings.

I've sorted out most of the big surprises with this project, and if all goes well the Avanti will be on the road sometime in January (insert fingers crossed symbol here)

Comment

I have been tossing around designing an upper control arm to "fix"
                        the location of the upper inner pivot point. This was discussed on
                        Racing Studebakers. Apparently Studebaker themselves "fixed" this
                        on the R3 Avantis. The pivot is too high, and the arm too short if
                        memory serves. The only other issue thats not "fixable" with after
                        market parts (short steering arms solve the slow steering) is the lack
                        of adjustable steering stops. Studebakers setup is pretty oddball in
                        the opposite side controls the stop. Studebakers clearance issue is
                        with the upper front zerk fitting, yet the steering stop for that is
                        on the opposite sides back of the king pin. Crazy.

Tom

Comment

I don't see any difference in the suspension geometry, that's why I figure the rack won't work correctly with the original geometry. I've seen racks like this before and the drivers tell me that there's bumpsteer. The bracketry for the rack looks like a big mess to me. I like the idea of the Granada spindles and the conversion to ball joints. Would the stude tie rods fit the granada steerign arms? THe upper inner aframe adjustment looks to be overcomplicated. All that was necessary was to slot the frame holes. But then it wouldn't be a "Bolt-on". I wonder if there's a 4WD joint that could be used since they're adjustable by turning. Why isn't there anybody out there converting stude aframes to adjustable ball joints?... Then you could just po the stude tie rod ends in and go with your disc brakes and quick steering. Because I've found there to a lot of easier cures for stude steering than r&p.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I don't see any difference in the suspension geometry, that's why I figure the rack won't work correctly with the original geometry. I've seen racks like this before and the drivers tell me that there's bumpsteer. The bracketry for the rack looks like a big mess to me. I like the idea of the Granada spindles and the conversion to ball joints. Would the stude tie rods fit the granada steerign arms? THe upper inner aframe adjustment looks to be overcomplicated. All that was necessary was to slot the frame holes. But then it wouldn't be a "Bolt-on". I wonder if there's a 4WD joint that could be used since they're adjustable by turning. Why isn't there anybody out there converting stude aframes to adjustable ball joints?... Then you could just po the stude tie rod ends in and go with your disc brakes and quick steering. Because I've found there to a lot of easier cures for stude steering than r&p.
                            You brought up an excellent point there:

Being that all 1951-66 Stude cars along with Avanti's to 1984 use very similar front ends..........I would think that someone would come out with stock geometry upper and lower control arms (with ball joints) that use the stock frame mounting points and, say 1975-80 Granada and friends disc brake spindles.
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I think that the reason no one has come up with this replacement, is
                              there isnt a real advantage to doing it. I can see modding the upper
                              arm, but to replace everything just to get disc brakes doesnt make any
                              sense to me. There are two widely used disc brake options available
                              on the market, and my setup which is lessor known and still relatively
                              new. I have only two sold, and one has been installed.

What would be useful is a power box to replace the rather complicated
                              Stude power steering system. Replacing the whole suspension just to
                              get ball joints is kinda a step back. Granted ball joints are normal
                              use these days, kingpins are considerably stronger and controled. Its
                              not, in itself, the problem. Perhaps once we hear of a successful
                              install of a Phantom front suspension, we will all eat crow?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X