Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

stude 65 and chevy 65 engines differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: stude 65 and chevy 65 engines differences?

Are there any noteworthy differences between the chevy put in studes in 65 66 and a chevy put in a chevy?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Short answer, no.

It's been discussed here many times at great length, but the differences are inconsequential. The good news is the larger, later SBCs bolt right in. It's actually less expensive today to rebuild a 350" than a 283". If it's a six, it's less expensive to rebuild a 230" or 250" than a 194".

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Get your casting numbers and check them against this list.

https://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You probably won't find too Many Chevy 283 Blocks in Chevie's that say: "Made in Canada" that also have Yellow Valve Covers and "Studebaker Thunderbolt 283" Decals.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Get your casting numbers and check them against this list.

https://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
          Wow! That is a big list!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            You probably won't find too Many Chevy 283 Blocks in Chevie's that say: "Made in Canada" that also have Yellow Valve Covers and "Studebaker Thunderbolt 283" Decals.
            I just ordered some of these valve cover decals. I am thinking of pulling out the diesel and putting in a proper(been watching too many British tv shows) v8 engine, so some sort of mouse motor might make some sense.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post

I just ordered some of these valve cover decals. I am thinking of pulling out the diesel and putting in a proper(been watching too many British tv shows) v8 engine, so some sort of mouse motor might make some sense.
              As much as I love the SBC it just makes no sense to me anymore to go with one of these over a present day LS chubby engine. Cheap, easy to find, crazy hp stock, and NO leaks...how can you go wrong? All the reasons it seems like every hotrodder in the world is swapping these engines into any brand of chassis these days. cheers, junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                Stickers are way too easy <lol>

Wow...way, way, waaaaay back I stumbled across some stuff on the net about this guy that milled adapter plates to bolt Stude valvecovers onto SBC heads. Now that I'm seeing a picture of the POS's engine I'm realizing that its Mr. Rice's handy work. Are these one-offs, or do you sell these? Cheers, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                  Stickers are way too easy <lol>

Nice valve covers! Are they available?

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post

As much as I love the SBC it just makes no sense to me anymore to go with one of these over a present day LS chubby engine. Cheap, easy to find, crazy hp stock, and NO leaks...how can you go wrong? All the reasons it seems like every hotrodder in the world is swapping these engines into any brand of chassis these days. cheers, junior
                    Well, the decals can probably go on an LS just fine.

Comment

Agree, the LS is the 21st-century belly-button for all those good reasons.

That is all the reasons other than cost. A SBC, rebuilt, with carb and distributor, costs half that of a rebuilt LS with carb and distributor.

The cost, plus the LS oil pan situation, makes them a more difficult fit in many chassis.

Then, if one actually wanted the "LS . . . crazy hp stock" mentioned, he'd have to use the OEM EFI, ignition, fuel pump and wiring harness beyond the ability of most CASOs.

So bottom line, yes, as long as cheapest is not the prime directive, the LS is a far better choice,

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

What's a "chubby" engine ? Is that a funny name for a big block something ?

Geeze, what are we here 10 years old, can't call an orange, an orange ?

Mike

Comment

I think "chubby" is a derivation of Chevy.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            I think "chubby" is a derivation of Chevy.
                            Chebby, mouse, SBC, bowtie POS among them but no chubby. Grew up with 'em (engines and Folks that built and raced them) and never heard chubby referring the SBC's, now a few other references using chubby but nope!! not Chevrolet. Probably a Canadian thing, eh!

Bob

Comment

i bet he meant chebby.

I dropped by my favorite machinist's shop today and mentioned this idea. He has a z28 302 clone but with h section rods and special rockers. He said it would go 8000 rpm with safety. I guess it is all ready to go. I'll have to take my tape and compare the chebby to my diesel engine and see what is needed to put the chebby in the stude.

Comment

Working...
                              X