GT Hawk , vinyl top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: GT Hawk , vinyl top

After many years ( 2 decades) I'm coming close to finishing up my 64 GT Hawk. My car is the Jet Green with the optional white vinyl top. I meet with my interior guy this morning and he asked 2 questions I could not answer.
    1- was the original top smooth or textured? The old vinyl was removed 20 yrs ago, I can't remember.
    2- the spacing of the 2 seams in the roof of the vinyl top. Maybe from the center line - left & right. or from the drip rail up to the seams .

Thanks, Mark

The vinyl top on my 64 Hawk has been a nightmare. The original was a textured vinyl. SMS has the correct texture, BUT you will grow old and broke before you get anything from those Oregon dopers. Don't! I did and had to peal it off as it shrank and pulled away from the edges. I did a bunch of internet searching and finally settled on Wurth Stone Guard. Takes a couple cans. Then painted it. They supposedly put shine reducer in the paint but it still has a bit too much gloss to it and I am not terribly happy with the texture. I will rerdo it one day but I am going to experiment with bedliner brush-ons first to see if I can get a little closer to the original grain. There is no one in the midwest who can install a vinyl top. I duplicated the seam with 1/2 inch emblem tape and applied Wurth Stone Guard over it. I'll make some measurements and get back to you. Don't get $15 dollars worth of cheap vinyl for $300 from the SMS bandits. Don't take drip rail stainless off--it'll be ruined and there is no replacing it.

Comment

Just back from the garage. The 'seams' are 1/2 " wide and are 39" apart outside to outside (38" apart inside to inside) and they are exactly parallel. You need to find the exact center and measure 19 1/2" from the center. If you go with vinyl line up the center first. Don't measure from drip-line---if you get it centered it'll be okay with the edge of roof . I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

Jeff, thanks so much. I took a bunch of pictures when I disassembled the car but I could not make out these details.

Comment

Did you try Studebaker International in Hope Indiana? They had the originals, may still have them.
          Dan

Comment

I'LL call them Monday. Sometimes the obvious is the hardest to see. Thanks, Mark

Comment

Mark make sure you have all the T screws and washers that go with the roof. I believe it takes 8 plus the 2 Phillips at the sail panel/drip edge. I'm using an NOS roof that I picked up and I think SI still has some. Almost to the point of roof then headliner. Check your wiring for the door switches and interior light as well . I found some scuffing in the A pillars and insulation was compromised. What are you using on the inside of roof and sail panels for insulation? Good luck!
              Rob in PA.

Comment

There is a place in California that has precut roof insulation. I’m not where I can find my receipt. A google search will find it. Less than175.00 with shipping. The sails are easy, get heavy poster board and use old ones as a pattern. Remember they are mirror images so mark left and right. Then buy pillow batting from fabric store and glue it to the pre cut panels. It will take at least two layers, when you install the head liner it will compress and look beautiful. That is what we did on our freshly restored 64 R2 GT.
                It is an addiction!

Comment

Working...
                X