Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'53 Commander wheels - what aftermarkets fit Turner conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: '53 Commander wheels - what aftermarkets fit Turner conversion?

I Bought my '53 Starliner with a Turner disc brake kit installed along with after market allow wheels. I want to return to stock (looking wheels and use the set of '53 hub caps I recently purchased. I understand that the disc brake kit interferes with the standard wheel. I'm having trouble finding anyone who can tell me what wheel to buy that will fit over the Turner brakes, mount onto my original bolt pattern and accept the hub caps. Can anyone help?

For my '63 GT, with full wheel covers, I bought Wheels Vintique from Summit Racing WVI-62-5612334 that now list for $103.99. These Ford-Chevy style primered wheels are 15" x 6", with 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, and 3.75" Backspace. You can't use doggie dish hub caps with them, but Wheels Vintique may offer another wheel where you could.

Mine fit fine with P215/75R15 radials and I like the look. Some prefer P205. You have to jack the rear of the body up a bit, when installing them, to clear the wheel cut-outs of the rear quarters, but no problems after that. They work well with my Turner Disk brakes. I bought steel valve stems to prevent wheel cover creep, and I used Mustang VS401C conical seat lug nuts, as Studebaker lug nuts have the wrong seat angle. I was gratified that my tire man was able to verify before installation that all five wheels arrived round and true.

Hankook no longer makes my tire in whitewall, so I'll look at Cooper Trendsetters, or Maxxis and American Classic at Coker the next time around. I have been happy with everything, but with the added cost of painting five wheels, and buying new tires, the whole package was not inexpensive.

Comment

I have used Dodge pickup, in the seventies.. (74) They are 5.5 I believe. I am replacing them now with E. T. 'S... On my pictures in the members pictures, The Saturday Night Special, you can see what they look like.

Comment

If you can find a good set of later ( 1962-1966) Lark or Hawk or Avanti wheels, you should be in business. Just make sure the back spacing is in the right ball park. If you wanted to go with cool alloys, American Racing style Torque Thrust wheels for mid-sixties Mustangs would also be cool. Stay with the mid sixties Mustangs because the later 2000s Mustangs have too much back spacing, and you will have to buy spacers for $ 90 to $100.

Comment

The problem with Post #4 suggestion is that; Lark/Hawk Wheels are only 4 1/2 Inches wide, only '63-66 clear Stock Discs, and of course they are not made for Radials.
          When you can find them, Avanti Wheels are 5 Inches Wide.

A P205X75R15 or Larger Radial Tire, requires a 5, 5 1/2, or 6 Inch Wheel.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have a 64 Hawk with P205X75R15 on stock wheels. What brand X wheels could I find at a Pick a Part to replace them with a 5 in wheel? I have disc brakes.

Comment

6" or 6.5" Ford Crown Victoria wheels. Fit like they were made for the ca . Just don't forget the lug nuts, Studebaker's nuts will pull through as they are too small
              Roger W. List
              Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Open this attachment and scroll down to page 17, lots of options, thanks to Mr Nagel for doing this
                  https://northstarstudebakers.com/wp-...nterchange.pdf

Comment

Bud Fox, I know this isn't a 53, but perhaps it will show you how good the Crown Vic wheels fit our cars, and even use the stock caps ! The tan pic is the day we got the car in '88, with it's stock wheels and caps, and the red pic is when we got it ready to sell in 2009....... and yes, we painted it Avanti Medium Red almost as soon as we got it home, ha ! Had Mini-Lite style mags on it for most of it's life (as also shown) with us tho'.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What year Crown Victoria? Looking online shows they use 16" wheels.

Comment

jostanton1, they list 92 to 97 as having 15 inch. My pal at the junk yard in Alabama just pointed me to one and said those are 15 inch on that Crown Vic. It may or may not have been a police car, I just remember it was black.

Comment

I have used Ford Ranger 15" standard steel wheels from early 2000's They fit fine and accept the full wheels discs. There are no wheels that I know of that will accept the small dog dish hubcaps other than Studebaker wheels. You do need to use the Ford lug nuts for the reasons stated in other posts.
                          Last edited by thunderations; 01-16-2020, 06:52 AM.
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Mine came off of a '93.
                            Roger W. List
                            Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

I purchased Mercury rims several years ago and they are on my 1953 Commander. HOWEVER there must be a taper on the wheel as I have to use GOOP Marine Adhesive to keep the wheel covers on. I have Chrysler rims on my Avanti and have had no problems... JUST MAKE SURE THE LUG NUTS MATCH THE RIM as previously mentioned.Click image for larger version

Name:	'53 at Ames meet.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1817342
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X