Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Any thoughts on making a tach mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: Any thoughts on making a tach mount?

I have a Sun Super Tach II that came with my 52 Commander. Lenard had mounted it in the clock position in the dash, but I replaced it with one on the steering column. The tach did not have the mount on it and although I found the plastic piece that screws into the back of the unit, I did not find the mount.
    I would now like to put the tach in my 2R pickup and need to make a mount. Any of you craftsmen have a good method for making one?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Sun offered a chrome cup with a mounting base on it and a chrome band clamp which goes around a large diameter column. The R-series smaller diameter column requires some owner fiddling. These can still be found at swap meets and eBay and new at Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...hoCUgEQAvD_BwE

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Unfortunately, that one is too small. This tach requires a 3 1/2" cup. I like the idea of the old style cup though.
      I can fab something, but I would rather not "reinvent the wheel" if someone has a good suggestion.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Interesting. All the Sun Super Tach IIs I've ever seen were 3-3/8".

https://www.tradervar.com/3-38-Sun-Super-Tach-II-Tachometer-White-Chrome-Bezel-CP7903_p_223.html

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Interesting. All the Sun Super Tach IIs I've ever seen were 3-3/8". jack vines[/URL]
          My digital caliper says just a hair under 3 1/2". I thought maybe I had written it down wrong so I
          checked again. Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4968.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	1812121Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4969.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	1812122
          Last edited by 52-fan; 11-28-2019, 06:30 PM.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hey Up Howard, bring the bit's to the meeting and i will explain . it involves a scrap of exhaust tubing, Stainless would be nice. OD of steering column and thickness of mounting pad on "Plastic" piece are things to look at. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
            X