Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Water pump pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Water pump pulley

Seeing as I can't find a part # on the pulleys can anyone tell me the O.D. of pulley part #536739. I have 2 pulleys that bolt to the water pump, in 2 different O.D.'s. The smaller of the two just clears the pump mounting bolts and the larger fits fine. I'd like to use the smaller, but may end up with the larger. Thanks, Bill.

Hi Bill,
    If the smaller of the two has a wider sheave, it is likely for the AC compressor, and goes forward of the larger one, toward the fan. If it has a wider sheave, you cannot use it to drive the WP, because the narrower belt will bottom out in the sheave. OTOH, if it is same width, I don't see any reason you could not use it to drive the WP, but you'd need a shorter belt.

Comment

The 536739 is the Standard '59-'64 V8 Pulley, the 534735 would be the smaller one for Viscous Drive and or Air Cond.

EXCEPT: '60, '61 "C" Body with Air and Note 1 > (= with Sutton A/C BEFORE Serial Number 61V-12,605) which require 1543514 Pulley.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The 536739 is the Standard '59-'64 V8 Pulley, the 534735 would be the smaller one for Viscous Drive and or Air Cond.

EXCEPT: '60, '61 "C" Body with Air and Note 1 > (= with Sutton A/C BEFORE Serial Number 61V-12,605) which require 1543514 Pulley.
        As for the OP's desire to use the smaller pulley, if possible. I still say, no matter what the smaller pulley was originally for, if it has the narrow shave, he can use it on his car, as long as it will clear, and aligns with the other pulleys. OTOH, if it has the wider sheave (for AC compressor belt) it won't work.

Comment

I think my OP might have been confusing. All I was asking was if someone knew the O.D. of the pulley/s so that I could i.d. the ones I have. For info purposes here are the dimensions of the two pulleys. One is 7 3/8" outside diameter and the other is 6 5/8" outside diameter. Both pulleys are 2 1/2" deep and both have the same dimension on the sheave at .625 outside to outside. With these dimensions can someone actually tell me the part #/#s of the two pulleys. Thanks guy's, sorry to make such a big deal of this. Bill

Comment

Exactly what StudeRich noted as the identifying part #s and application.

Comment

Working...
            X