Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Studebaker truck block to a passenger car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Studebaker truck block to a passenger car

This is my story. I have a 51 champion that had a bad block. I am having it rebuilt at a shop and I brought them a block out of a studebaker truck. Both engines are straight sixes. I am being told that using my bell housing the starter will be on the opposite side and will cover the oil fill hole in the block. How should I proceed? Do I need to find a truck bell housing ? I am being told the my passenger bell housing lines up just the starter issue. Can anyone shed some light on this for me

Don't most late Champion blocks have a front and a rear oil fill hole; one not used covered by a soft plug?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Just switch them by moving the Oil Fill Pipe to where the Core Plug is.
      Pay special attention to the Oil Pan and Oil pump locations, also the rear "Mounting Plate" between the Clutch housing and the Block that "Some" 169 Engines had.

There were several Car to Truck changes, so the only way to get them all Right is to have BOTH the Car Chassis Parts Catalog and the Truck Parts Catalog for the years involved and compare part numbers for 169 Engine and Clutch Parts.

It WILL matter which Year the Truck is!
      For instance: 1955 to 1958 Cars and Trucks used the "185" c.i.d. small Six.

You cannot use a Truck Clutch Housing; different Transmission Mounting and Engine Mount locations.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Jwboff View Post
        This is my story. I have a 51 champion that had a bad block. I am having it rebuilt at a shop and I brought them a block out of a studebaker truck.
        One would think a good machine shop having both blocks side by side would see the car dressing would transfer to the truck block.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

I should have said this before. The donor block is from a 49 studebaker . I think a r5.

Comment

The truck block is a 49. I think a r5

Comment

This is STILL your only foolproof method:

Quote Post # 3: "There were several Car to Truck changes, so the only way to get them all Right is to have BOTH the Car Chassis Parts Catalog and the Truck Parts Catalog for the years involved and compare part numbers for 169 Engine and Clutch Parts."
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X