Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

suspension breakout!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame/Springs: suspension breakout!

While replacing the front springs on my 1956 Studebaker Power Hawk, the left upper control arm inner pin mounting in the crossmember/frame broke out around both bolt holes. This is not a rust issue. The only fix I can see is to fashion/weld flat steel on top of the mounting area (being careful to locate the holes precisely) . I am concerned that this could change the front end geometry. The shoulder on the mounting bolts would be too short because of the added metal thickness. Has anyone run into this situation? I am open to any insights you may have.
    Thanks,
    Marshall

Not a new problem, and most common in 56J. I have replaced a couple when they broke, and installed a couple of reinforcement plates as preventive measure. There was a field service bulletin addressing this problem, and it called for welding a .125" thick patch plate, as you are contemplating. The later Hawks had a factory fix, which was a patch plate, welded on the inside to the frame.
    You just need to come up with a template to insure you do not lose the proper location of the pin mount bolts. Could make one from another car, any Stude would do, from about 1952 on up.
    I'd suggest you also inspect the bottom side of the frame, just below that location, where a rivet is located. Odds are, if the frame was beat up enough to break the top side, the bottom side probably is cracked too. That area around the rivet was/is prone to cracking anyway.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 11-23-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I think one would want to weld the cracks first, then grind them flat before installing the plate.Click image for larger version  Name:	Frame.reinforc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.0 KB ID:	1811563
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is what I did to repair the Speedster. I also had extra holes to weld through for extra strength. I should add that I welded the cracks before installing the platesClick image for larger version  Name:	PICT0007.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	1811577Click image for larger version  Name:	PICT0002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.2 KB ID:	1811578
        Last edited by 5brown1; 11-24-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

It seems the factory was not overly worried about the slight change in front suspension geometry brought about by adding a layer of metal to the frame. Another way to approach this would be to make plate of 3/16" steel, roughly triangular, and as wide as can be fit through the access hole below. Drill it to match the hole spacing for the control arm shaft, and weld nuts to the underside. Ensure the top edges of the plate are beveled, or bent down. Drill a few half-inch holes in the frame where the perimeter of the patch panel will go, and between the existing bolt holes. Vee out any cracks with a grinder. Bolt the patch panel in place, weld through the holes, and in the vees, and grind smooth. Should make an invisible repair.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Many thanks for the very helpful pictures and replays. It's good to see this isn't a new problem. I printed out the service bulletin. Now ,deciding just how much disassembly has to be done,to get proper access.
            Thanks, Marshall

Comment

I have an nos kit to make this repair. It included 2 - 3/16th plates , 4 bolts, nuts and washers. I am going to a metal fabricator on Wednesday and see if he can make the plates at a reasonable cost and I will make up kits if I can do it at a reasonable cost , Ed

Comment

Ed, if you can't get the kits made at a reasonable price, could you perhaps make templates available?
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack before you weld it. Otherwise, it may continue to crack.
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

I went on Studebaker intl site today and they have these reinforcement plates cheaper than what I can have them made. The p/n is 1553491 they are listed as a reinforcement $10.25 ea. These are 1/8th thick , I was going to have them made 3/16 thick and they would be 20.00 ea , I hope this helps , Ed

Comment

When restoring the chassis of our '56 president my frame was cracked on top and bottom like mentioned above. Welded & ground them before painting.
                      Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                      X