Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Hawk Fin Installation - Help Needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1957 Hawk Fin Installation - Help Needed!!

After a long delay, I just managed to start again on my efforts on restoring my Golden Hawk. I am currently mounting the rear fenders and fins (both are NOS). But before I start drilling and screw something up I thought I would seek some advice. Currently, the top edge between the fin and trunk is temporarily attached with screws. That required hours of fitting the taillight housing onto the fender/fin but it now appears to look OK to me. I then moved to the bottom edge of the fin on the wheel side where it attaches to the fender. Since the fender is NOS there are no previous holes to guide me but there are some holes on the fin. There are a total of 15 holes on the edge of the fin of which 10 look to be 1/8 in size and 5 are slightly larger at 9/64 ( I think??) Do I simply drill these holes into the fender underneath? What size holes are required for the stainless side trim? I assume the smaller holes are for attaching the fin to the fender and the slightly larger holes are for the trim attachment? What kind of screws/bolts are used to attach the fins on the wheel side? I have what I need to lay in the seam strip on top but clueless for the side installation. I saw on line (Ray Linn Site) the clips recommended for the stainless trim but the holes at the top of the fin are so much larger that the bottom edge. What am I missing? Should I pre-fit all the trim before final fitting of the fin? Where do I get the right Thanks in advance for any help on this!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00155.JPG
Views:	768
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1811515Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00161.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1811516

I assume the holes at the top are larger so the clips for stainless can be inserted. Your body manual should tell you what fasteners are used for the other areas.
    The information is on page 484 of the Chassis Parts manual.

Comment

Thanks! I still get confused by how the manuals are organized but I found it. The numbers of bolts in the Manuel don’t match the holes that are punched but the sizes do so I am good to go. Thanks again for the response
      jim

Comment

About the Only thing I find unusual in the Catalogs is the Front Fenders, Hood and Grille are in the COOLING Section, so NOT listed in the Body Parts Catalog but, the Group Numbers in the Chassis Parts Catalog to find the Part Numbers and applications of those Parts are Noted in the Picture View in the Body Parts Catalog.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 11-24-2019, 06:38 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I made a paper pattern for the holes from the old fender. That worked great as I was concerned about too much spread on the fin and concerned the trim would not line up properly
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Good idea on the pattern. Unfortunately the fender was rusted away where the fin was originally bolted to the fender so I have little to work with. There might be one or two of the original holes still there - maybe enough to anchor in places to mount the trim and reverse engineer into the trim line?.
            Definately makes me think I need to seal the seams top and bottom to prevent it from rusting again?

Comment

I believe it is impossible to seal the fins to the fender area to prevent water from entering. I would suggest that the area be painted before assembly. Also any hole you drill must be painted to protect the raw metal from being exposed.
              It is an addiction!

Comment

Looks like over the years of storage I’ve managed to lose the 2 stainless connector “V” pieces that connects the two stainless strips on the front of fin. Unfortunately I can’t locate the part number in the chassis manual. On page 474 it looks like the number 1604 -51- 7 is assigned. On page 486 I see 1604–51 but no 7 that corresponds to the part. Got any idea StudeRich as to where I can find the part number? I need to find a source for this part in order to progress with my project!
                thanks!

Comment

Years ago I bought a Cleco pliers and a bunch of Clecos. Wasn't sure I'd ever use them but I've used them a lot. Good investment. Don't know how to align a panel without them.

Comment

Be very careful I painted all my parts first, and the fin strips with the 17teen bolts were very had to put on with 2 people, ended up with 3 chips in the paint, get lots of help and paint them on the car if you want a show quality car. And no 2 fins are drilled the same I found that out the hard way also, good luck, but you will love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jalopynut View Post
                      Looks like over the years of storage I’ve managed to lose the 2 stainless connector “V” pieces that connects the two stainless strips on the front of fin. Unfortunately I can’t locate the part number in the chassis manual. On page 474 it looks like the number 1604 -51- 7 is assigned. On page 486 I see 1604–51 but no 7 that corresponds to the part. Got any idea StudeRich as to where I can find the part number? I need to find a source for this part in order to progress with my project!
                      thanks!
                      Nope, it appears that you caught them in a very rare mistake.
                      For the '57H/'58H-K7, & 58L-K9 there is no 1604-51 either, and clearly no 1604-51-7 that you need!

For K7's they call these Fin Stainless Mouldings that join your missing "V" front connector Moulding :

Moulding, UPPER Right, rear fender fin Outer 1604-60 =1321134
                      Moulding, UPPER Left, rear fender fin Outer 1604-60 =1321135

Moulding, LOWER Right, rear fender fin Outer 1604-61 =1321092
                      Moulding, LOWER Left, rear fender fin Outer 1604-61 =1321093

I looked EVERYWHERE for something close, numerically and nomenclature that was maybe miss-identified... NO Dice.

It appears that they got confused between Mouldings and the Fin seam Beads, and missed them.

NOTE: I suggest you contact Barry Hackney for the 2 front Fin Mouldings, USED.
                      He has parted out and saved more C and K models than ANYONE I know!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I like your emojis StudeRich - and I really appreciate the lead on finding the parts!! .......off I go on another parts hunt!

Comment

So Jetboat, I have been thinking about the final fin installation and agree totally that an extra hand will be helpful.
                          To hold the fin in place I intend to bolt it in place temporarily while I lay in a few small tack welds. I’ll grind these to a low profile before I remove the temporary bolts and then try the top “t-bolt” final installation. (After painting the seam and sealing it well). I think this approach was part of Ray Linns discussion that I read long ago. Also, you are correct that each fin is different. The front end of one fin has a much wider flange that I will need to bang down flat and cut back so that the sits flat against the fender and the strip then covers the entire seam. ...it’s a process!

Comment

Good luck, I hope it works out I have a second hawk in process so going to try some other tricks, happy trails

Comment

Working...
                            X