Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

C4 Corvette running gear conversion for 61 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: C4 Corvette running gear conversion for 61 Lark

Want to use complete c4 Corvette under 61 lark

If a C4 is a Corvette ENGINE, just bolt it into your '61 Larkwa using '65-'66 Stude. Engine Mount BRACKETS with Stock Chev. Engine mounts. That is, IF the Engine Block and Mounting is the same as a '66 283 Chevelle.

Not being a Chev. fan, I have 0 idea what a C4 is, other than a Ford Transmission!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

umm...kind of an open-ended question. Are you wanting to swap the whole C4 frame in place of the Lark frame, or the suspension(s), or the engine/trans? We can try and help, but need some more info to start with. What Lark body style do you have, and what C4 parts do you want to swap? cheers, junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Mears View Post
        Want to use complete c4 Corvette under 61 lark
        Google "corvette frame studebaker" , "corvette suspension Studebaker" and you will be able to find a fair bit of info on the topic. It has been done. Be aware that Avanti's up to about 1985 used a Lark convertible frame so that data is directly applicable. Other chassis generally have longer wheel bases.

As Junior says specifics help but you also need to know the frames are not terribly strong so modifications particularity in the rear need to be well thought out.

grobb on the forum built a complete stainless chassis with vette components as an adder.

Happy reading, Bob

Comment

Want to use all suspension swap and motor and transmission

Comment

Can't be done by just a bolt in. The Corvette is WAY too wide.
            How do I know this, I put a C4 front suspension under my 60 Lark. I looked at every way possible, and ended up having to make up my own parts to keep the tires...under...the fenders.
            Take a look here -
            https://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/60_lark/

Notice the "U" shaped tubing that the control arms are attached to. This brings the spindles/wheels WAY in toward the center of the car vs. the Corvette. While the car still isn't complete (retirement project to finish it), I'm...so far...happy with the outcome.

Mike

Comment

Don't know if I am assuming correctly or not but are you THE Roger Mears? If so then hello to you and say hi to your brother Rick for us. You have a very ambitious project ahead of you. As Mike and Bob have said there are a lot of differences in widths and lengths between the two cars. It can probably be done but a lot of engineering and fabricating will be needed. I don't know of anyone that has done this swap, so if it has been done, hopefully someone with the experience will chime in. Thanks for joining us, Bill Van Alstyne.

Comment

As MVV says, the C4 front clip is too wide.

Lark front track - 57.4"
                C4 Corvette - 60"

However, anything can be made to fit anything if the fabricator has unlimited time and talent.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Along with the "small" 2.6" track width distance that Jack shows, you also NEED to take into consideration the wheel rim and center dimensions/location. Plus, the Vettes control arms are a LOT longer than the Stude arms. It's NOT a direct swap..! You need to make room for the longer arms to keep the tires...under the fenders.

The way I did my Larks conversion, not only does a 6.0" wide wheel fit, but so does the stock 9.0" wide wheel. So that means as long as I pick the rim offset correctly, I can use a 6.0", to a 9.0" wide wheel...and still keep the tire in a good centered location under the fender.

Mike

Comment

Try this web site https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance They make brackets , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                      Try this web site https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance They make brackets , Ed
                      That is interesting, but they only mention C5 and C6, not the requested C4.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                        Looks like some nice stuff. But two things, 1. Like Gary said, no C4 bracketry. And 2. looks awfully heavy. And possibly a third, do they have a cross member narrow enough for a "narrow than most" Stude frame ?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X