Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Studebaker Performance Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Studebaker Performance Fans

I just received my November, 2019 Vol 51, No 11 issue of Turning Wheels.
    I read the most interesting article by Richard Paul regarding the Studebaker R3 and R4 engine development programs. Where has this information been hiding all these years? The detail is phenomenal for those of us interested in squeezing the most performance out of our antiquated engines.
    I find it especially interesting that the Chev 409, dual quad motors used the same carburetors as our R4's. Owning an R4 clone (dual quad) with heavily modified cylinder heads, Racer Brown camshaft etc, I can attest that it will take all the fuel and airflow that was designed for the much larger Chev engine. I suppose the 12.5:1 compression ratio really helped.
    Also interesting (at least to me) is Richard's Hawk ran the quarter at 98 mph. I had a best time of 14.6 @ 94 MPH when I last had her on the track with 3:73 gears and a rear brake hanging up due to sitting. I'm sure my 3000 RPM converter and heavily modified Powershift assisted in achieving that time.
    Has Richard Paul ever been active on our Forum? He sure has some great insight which I am sure many of us gear heads would greatly appreciate.
    Congrats to Fred Fox for putting together such an interesting article.
    Cheers, Bill

Yep, one of the best articles ever ! That guy was so lucky to be in all the right spots...well, he must have been good too !

Comment

Hi, Bill, et al,

FWIW, No, Richard's never been active in this SDC Forum, as he long ago lost interest in Studebakers and went on to other challenges. It was through his axial flow supercharger business that I got to know him. As we talked over the years and I learned of the depth of his involvement at this most exciting era, I knew his experiences needed documented for the good of the order. To that end, I encouraged him for the past five years to get it all down in anecdote form, send it to me and I'd edit into something Turning Wheels could use.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Mr. Paul mention 3 times in this article the number one issue for performance, with this engine, is the lack cylinder head air flow. Is the claim that we should run as much compression as possible on our supercharged engines, or was Mr. Paul speaking of just the NA variety. My recently rebuilt 57 GH engine has the stock supercharged low compression heads so did I miss an opportunity for better overall performance? NASCAR engine builders used to run very high compression to compensate for restrictor plate airflow obstruction. Also quite interesting how Andy modified the Kettering chamber on the R3.

Comment

I agree about the breathing.
          There is a lot of opportunity in the breathing area on the Studebaker head.
          Improvements can be made in several key areas.
          All it takes is talent, time, equipment, and money.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
          X