Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Avanti Hub Cap Reconditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Avanti Hub Cap Reconditioning

Next on my Avanti project list Hub Caps.... Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Polishing is coming along. Concern has to do with painting the inserts. Taping off the black looks straight forward, and use a semi-gloss / satin (not flat) material. BUT, what about the painted aluminum areas? Has anyone found a product / technique that would duplicate the original look.

Thanks for your comments
    sigpic

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post
    Next on my Avanti project list Hub Caps.... Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Polishing is coming along. Concern has to do with painting the inserts. Taping off the black looks straight forward, and use a semi-gloss / satin (not flat) material. BUT, what about the painted aluminum areas? Has anyone found a product / technique that would duplicate the original look.

Thanks for your comments
    First, I will assume that you mean wheelcovers since I do not believe that any Studebaker Avantis came with hub caps. There is a restoration kit available for the black circle and black outer trim. I have not worked with any covers that needed restoration of the aluminum appearing areas. I would try an aluminum metallic spray paint.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you have, or have a buddy that has, a bead blast cabinet, tape off every other surface and bead blast. The glass beads leave a nice, flat matte, even finish on that stainless that will never need to be painted again. Sure looks like the original to me.

I don’t think regular sandblasting would leave an acceptable finish — too rough

Tom

Comment

I am at the Moultrie Ga swap meet this weekend. The guy set up in the space next to me sells wheel covers and hubcaps. He has these for sell. $225 for the set of four. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20191122_190323.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1811418
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry,

Thanks for the encouragement....your picture and the $225 price tag, just goes to show me how fortunate I am to have decent pieces that just need a little TLC.
          Have fun at the swap meet...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post
            Jerry,

Thanks for the encouragement....your picture and the $225 price tag, just goes to show me how fortunate I am to have decent pieces that just need a little TLC.
            Have fun at the swap meet...
            Checking some old invoices from the Studebaker dealer I found that I paid $6.75 for each Avanti wheel cover in 1967.

Comment

Working...
            X