Studebaker crankshaft hub installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker crankshaft hub installer

Had some members at the last club meeting ask about a front hub installer and as I had one said sure anyone that needed it could borrow it. Well guess what my Mac hub installer doesn't fit a Studebaker. So called Myers Studebaker parts and he had a extra front crankshaft bolt so had one sent and building an adapter to fit the Studebaker crank. Welded a 1/2"stud to the Studebaker bolt with the right treads to screw into the adapter and now just need to cut down the head of the bolt so it clears the center of the hub and may need a small spacer to take up the extra length and I think we have a hub installer everyone can use when needed.

The picture is too blurry to tell anything about it.
    You didn't check after downloading it ?

What it a front hub installer ? I've installed hubs to Stude cars and hubs to drums without needing an "installer". Even Avanti rotors to early hubs without an "installer".

Mike

Comment

Talking about the front lower crankshaft front hub behind the lower pulley's Need a special tool to install it properly but none of the available tools have the adapter that fit the Studebaker crank.

Comment

He's talking about the hub that goes over the crankshaft snout for mounting the harmonic balancer and pulleys.

Looks great!

Comment

Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker sells one that uses a thrust bearing to keep things straight and smooth.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...ywords=PH-TOOL
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ph-tool.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1811216
            3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

My brother, Bill, was working on my '55 a couple years ago and needed one of these tools. Being a machinist he just pulled out a length of pipe and some other assorted stuff and started cutting and welding. Wallah! In about 15 minutes he had a really cool tool to pull the harmonic balancer. I should ask him if he kept that tool. I suspect he did as he has a '57 Golden Hawk and might need to use it on that some day.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

This is to install the hub once you have removed it and need to put it back on. My Mac tool looks a lot like the one in post #6 just a little fancier. It uses different adapters on the crankshaft end so it fits different shafts. There is no adapter with a shaft tread of 11/16 x 16 which is what fits a Studebaker so this is what I had to build up.

Comment

my friend is a machinist. Helped me with the bolt. Then I use big washers, pipe nipple and a used king pin thrust bearing.
                  1936 Dictator
                  1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                  1953 Commander Regal HT
                  1953 2R5 Pickup
                  1947 M16 Truck
                  1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                  1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                  1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                  1962 GT Hawk
                  1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                  1963 GT Hawk R2
                  1964 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Checked to see that the adapter fit like it should to the crank after welding and then cut off all of the bolt head right up to the weld. This is what the Mac tool set looks like and close to post 6.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Everything looks like it will work just need to come up with about 1" of spacer do to the extra length of the adapter. But everything else looks to be a go.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X