Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Installation of Horn cable in Ross Steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of Horn cable in Ross Steering box

I have been trying to install a Horn Cable (wire) in my Ross SE54 Steering box. It was missing when I got my 1963 Champ Project. I have tried from the top and bottom and it only goes so far.Do you have to take it apart (steering Box) to feed the wire through in this case? It says in the manual to use a pilot wire but that only works if you have an existing wire in the steering column. Can anyone help shed some light on this problem.

Thanks

Will,

Keep trying. I had better luck from the bottom than the top on my hawk. You may want to straighten a coat hanger and push it through first. If successful with the coat hanger, strip the wire and remove most of the wires, wrap a few strands around the coat hanger and black tape them to the coat hanger. Pull and feed at the same time. When I replaced mine it just happened to go through with just pushing it up.

Best of luck

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible

Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I take and tack together 3 pieces of 1/16" weld wire, on the end loop it and crimp the end of the wire in it. Then shove the weld wire in from the bottom and have someone on the inside with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

I take and tack together 3 pieces of 1/16" weld wire, on the end loop it and crimp the end of the wire in it. Then shove the weld wire in from the bottom and have someone on the inside with a pair of needle nose pliers.
        Bingo! That's the easiest way!

Comment

I used on piece of 36 in 1/16 welding wire, with a little hook on the end, pushed it through from the bottom and pulled the horn wire after it. That's even easier than welding three 12 in pieces together. I guess lazy goes with CASO.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

Just to let you all know I went with the coat hanger from the bottom
            and out came some rust which was pluggin the tube. I easily pushed the horn wire up from the bottom then, Many Thanks to all

Will Norton

Comment

OK, that is pretty clear, but I do not think this is the same as a 48 Champion. I have removed the horn ring, pulled the old horn wire out, it was broken at the bottom of the steering gear. In trying to insert the new wire, I run into an obstruction at about the top of the steering gear. I will try the coat hanger from the bottom to see if there is a build up of rust.
              Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
              73, Jim

Comment

Try blowing some compressed air through it first...
                1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                See rescue progress here on this blog:
                http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

John, got it. Thanks.
                  73, Jim

Comment

Thank you to all that helped me. I have the horn working and am finishing up on the trunk lid. Hope to have it on the road early next week.
                    73, Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X