Rear leaf spring hanger question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Rear leaf spring hanger question

The two rear leaf spring hangers on my 62 Champ frame are positioned at different heights on the frame. Is it suppose to be that way?

Rear hanger, drivers siderear hanger, passenger side
    Attached Files
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Is the lower position on the drivers side?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
      The two rear leaf spring hangers on my 62 Champ frame are positioned at different heights on the frame. Is it suppose to be that way?
      Evidently yes. I have 2 Champs, a '62 8 cyl and a '63 6 cyl. I never noticed it before but I just checked and both are as in your photos.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        Is the lower position on the drivers side?
        The lower positioned hanger is on the drivers side, raising the frame I guess.
        Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Evidently yes. I have 2 Champs, a '62 8 cyl and a '63 6 cyl. I never noticed it before but I just checked and both are as in your photos.
          [/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking your Champs. I feel better mine was not some goof up at the factory.
          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I theorized the lower bracket on the left was because the left side ALWAYS carried some weight (the driver).
            I wonder if it's just the opposite on RHC vehicles?
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

That is a good question - left side would still have the fuel tank and battery on that side - but driver and everything they need to drive the vehicle follow them over to the right. My truck parts catalog does show LHD and RHD frames. There are some RHD Champs out there - maybe someone who has one will chime in.

Comment

I theorized the lower bracket on the left was because the left side ALWAYS carried some weight (the driver).
                Yes, to both. My Hawk service manual states that to be exactly why the springs mount in different positions. On the Hawk the front spring mount on each side has two mounting holes. Depending if its left hand drive or right, the drivers side mounts in the lower hole and the passenger side mounts in the upper hole in order to add preload to compensate for an average drivers weight.

Comment

Working...
                X