Truck fuel sender specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Truck fuel sender specs

I am putting a saddle tank on my 1964 8E40 truck. Does anyone know the ohms range that need for the sending unit to match the stock gauge? The gauge part number is 1686096 and the sending unit is 1685600. Thanks.
    Tom Nation

Tom, welcome to the Forum! I’ve edited your title to be more specific. The more specific you make your topic’s titles, the more likely you will get answers Cheers!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That depends on which Sending Unit you have, if the 1685600 is for the Optional Tank, it will work, if not it needs a LONGER Float Arm.

If your "Saddle Tank" is a Custom non-Stock Option Tank, you may need a Sender with a Longer Float Arm as the Universal ones have. The Studebaker (and other Independents) Stuart Warner 12 Volt Gauges and Senders all use the same Ohms: 240 to 33.5, just different Length Float Arms.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-15-2019, 02:50 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

How does one measure the ohms? I just removed one from a truck tank. It is an aftermarket. But it does say SW on it.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

You measure resistance (stated in Ohms) with a multimeter set on the "Ohms" scale. Put one probe on the mounting plate of the sender, and the other on the terminal (a pair of clip leads will prove useful for this), and slowly move the float arm through its range of travel. The meter should show a progression from 33 Ohms with the float arm fully up, to 240 Ohms with the float arm fully down, with intermediate values in between. If you use a digital meter, you will likely see it move in 2-3 Ohm steps. What you don't want to see are readings of zero Ohms, or "infinity", or retrograde jumps in the reading, like 55, 56. 67, 55. 58, 59, 58, 60. That is a sign of a worn-out wiper inside the sending unit. Zero indicates a shorted sender, and infinity indicates an open circuit, probably a broken resistance coil.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks for the information. The tanks are non-stock saddle/step tanks that I saved from the crusher and had cleaned out and coated. I can't use the standard Stude tank because the truck has air brakes and the air tank is where the standard tank goes. Stude used an outside-the-frame tank in this case but because of the bed I can't use that type tank either. The tanks are approximately the same depth as the Stude tank so I am ok there. I ordered a NOS unit from Studebaker International which I will put in the main tank. I want to get a less expensive unit to put in the auxiliary tank.

On my farm truck (1964 8E 40A) that I use for pulling my Minneapolis Moline G to shows, I put a 30 gal tank from a refrigerated trailer. It is aluminum, has a machinal gauge on it and mounted quite easily to the frame. Getting 6-7 mpg, the 18 gallon stock tank dried up very quickly.
            Tom Nation

Comment

Working...
            X