Different tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Different tanks?

I wonder if there's different gas tanks depending on single, 6 cyl & 2 to 1 V8's, or dual exhaust, V8, systems?
    (My -55 Champion gas tank only has the space for exhaust pipe on one side but I've seen pictures from under other Studebakers that have the space on both sides...)
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 11-13-2019, 01:54 AM.
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

This is what Josephine's tank looks like:
    (I wonder if it's the same on V8 sedans of later date?)

Attached Files
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 11-13-2019, 01:54 AM.
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Comment

That is what the tanks all look like in that era on the sedans. Normally the right pipe would run in the the valley between the tank and the spare tire well. The left pipe snakes way to the left of the tank. Both of the pipes end up at the bumper just to the inside of the tail lights. My 56 President is away in the barn for the winter but if you are stuck I will try to visit it and take a photo.

Comment

Alright Ross, so there's no "in-bump/dent" or tunnel on the left side on a -56 sedan, but I still wonder if for example V8 Lark has the same..?
        sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

Larks all have rectangular tanks with no indents for pipes. Those cars did not have spare tire wells and the filler was at the back so there were less obstacles for the pipes.

Comment

From what I've seen the tanks on the C/K model cars are the same size and shape. There are differences in where and how the fuel pickup line exits the tank though. On the V8 cars, (both a bit later with stock dual exhaust) the tank is centered between the springs. On our '53 coupe, originally with a 6 cylinder, the tank was mounted further to the left side. When we swapped in a V8 and dual exhaust we moved the tank to center between the springs.

This is my '62 K
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1810403

Comment

Okidoki, thanx!
              I just googled a picture of a Lark,
              & so I reckon there was never a tank with made space for exhaust pipes on both sides, but I still wonder for example why 57-58 Packard sedans wouldn't have it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 11-14-2019, 12:06 PM.
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

Working...
              X