Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

16" Budd wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are literally thousands upon thousands of aluminum wheels made for dually modern pickups in about any diameter from 15" all the way up to 20 something. Aluminum is very "weldable" pick one you like, have someone weld up the lug holes, and have a machine shop redrill for your lug pattern. I don't see the pink unicorn.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by foggydogg View Post
      I would have posted this on the Truck forum but I have no idea what a 'taptalk' is.
      As several folks here know, my curiosity here is over Budd wheels for 3/4 T trucks. Some time ago Jack Vines had a pair, and I just now am working on another two from Dean out in Colorado. They look pretty decent after media blasting, just need some hand tool work now.
      Since we're talking Pink Unicorn level rare, I'm interested to know if these Dodge wheels - no matter how rare they are - could be another source for us 2R guys.
      There are literally thousands upon thousands of aluminum wheels made for dually modern pickups in about any diameter from 15" all the way up to 20 something. Aluminum is very "weldable" pick one you like, have someone weld up the lug holes, and have a machine shop redrill for your lug pattern. I don't see the pink unicorn.
      The Studebaker '49-'55 3/4-ton SRWs are a unique offset. Modern dually wheels have way too much offset to be used without spacers on the front and rear hubs. Having said that, it's just time and a lot of money to have custom wheels made up in aluminum. Someone, some day may do it.

FWIW, the OEM steel wheels with the solid retaining ring get their unique design "big rig" look with only a 16" diameter because they are not dropped center. Because of the removable ring, a tire can be slid directly on the wheel. Whenever someone is having custom wheels made up, they always want to go with a one-piece-drop-center wheel to be able to use tubeless tires. The dropped center which enables mounting of tubeless tires on a one-piece wheel, reduces the open area in the center of the wheel and completely changes the look. If one likes that look more than the original, go for it.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

This thread unravelled almost immediately.
        I don't need wheels.
        The only folks posting here with 3/4T C cab trucks in their profile - besides me - are Jack and Skip.
        To my knowledge, no wheel installed on a Ford of any kind will work on our stud-pilot hubs machined for Budd centers.

Jack pointed out the obvious disconnect there.
        Several other members have posted their experience in the custom wheel world; some were disappointed in the results, most used the Budd centers mated to custom rims, and all spent a small fortune.
        I earned a pretty good living as a mechanic, and between my fabrication experience in the Navy and as a licensed competitor in NASCAR for more years than I care to admit, the only way I can imagine using aluminum for wheels on these trucks would be to start with a large block of billet locked to the bed of a CNC machine.
        The original post cited a very specific Dodge wheel, rare in itself, and invited input from somebody with experience in the area of Budd-type stud piloted truck wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by foggydogg View Post
          This thread unravelled almost immediately.
          Heh heh.........this happens frequently on this forum.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
          X