Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

16" Budd wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: 16" Budd wheels

At the risk of being accused of Animal Cruelty, for forcing the horse to stand, even if it is quite possibly dead, I just read a story in the current 'Vintage Truck' mag about a 1955 Dodge 1 ton truck. Seems it came with 16", two-piece lock ring wheels, 6 on 7.25 bolt pattern, with six hand holes.

Originally posted by foggydogg View Post
    At the risk of being accused of Animal Cruelty, for forcing the horse to stand, even if it is quite possibly dead, I just read a story in the current 'Vintage Truck' mag about a 1955 Dodge 1 ton truck. Seems it came with 16", two-piece lock ring wheels, 6 on 7.25 bolt pattern, with six hand holes.
    All 1953/66 Ford F350 & P350 (P series Parcel Delivery) have 6 lug wheels on a 7.25" bolt circle. Sizes include 16" 17" and 19" some of these are "widow" makers.

FTE (ford-trucks.com) member truckdog62563 (Stu) is a guru on truck wheels, he's also a member of Studebaker Truck Farmers, but I don't know his user name on that site.

You can find Stu posting mainly in the 1948/56 F1/F100 and larger truck forum, but if you type his user name into search, you'll find him much quicker.

Bill ~ NumberDummy on FTE
    Last edited by WinM1895; 11-09-2019, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Double post...

Comment

I guess the bottom line here is IF you are looking for some of these for a 1 Ton Stude. like mine, it's no help because a 1 Ton 16 or 17 Inch Dodge or Ford Wheel with that Bolt pattern is HARDER to find than a Stude. !

And then, you can't find affordable (under $200.00) Tires and they do not have enough offset between the Duals to fit bulging sidewall Radials.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post

FTE (ford-trucks.com) member truckdog62563 (Stu) is a guru on truck wheels, he's also a member of Studebaker Truck Farmers, but I don't know his user name on that site.

Bill ~ NumberDummy on FTE
          Stu goes by truckdog62563 on the Stude Truck Talk forum, too. A true treasured resource.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

I would have posted this on the Truck forum but I have no idea what a 'taptalk' is.
            As several folks here know, my curiosity here is over Budd wheels for 3/4 T trucks. Some time ago Jack Vines had a pair, and I just now am working on another two from Dean out in Colorado. They look pretty decent after media blasting, just need some hand tool work now.
            Since we're talking Pink Unicorn level rare, I'm interested to know if these Dodge wheels - no matter how rare they are - could be another source for us 2R guys.

Comment

To add to the confusion, even though its widespread to give them the misnomer "Budd wheels", because Budd made many similar style wheels for larger trucks, IIRC, the 16" Studebaker lock ring wheels were made by Motor Wheel Corporation.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

As several folks here know, my curiosity here is over Budd wheels for 3/4 T trucks.
                To clarify...

3/4 ton Ford: 1953/96 F250's have 8 lug wheels on a 6.50" bolt circle.

1 ton Ford: 1953/66 F350 & P350 have 6 lug wheels on a 7.25" bolt circle // 1967/97 F350's have 8 lug wheels on a 6.50" bolt circle.

So many P350's were used by bakeries, that these are known as "bread trucks."

Sorry Rich, I don't have a source for these wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                  1 ton Ford: 1953/66 F350 & P350 have 6 lug wheels on a 7.25" bolt circle
                  IIRC, most of the 350s were dual rear wheel. These, like those on the Dodge mentioned by OP, will only fit DRW trucks, and won't work on Studebaker SRW 3/4-tons.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

It's my understanding, from my earlier search and from reading threads here, that none of the Ford wheels fit Studebakers. Since my 2R10 has stud centered wheels, none of the hub centered wheels work, regardless the dimensions of the bolt pattern.
                    My point in the original post was to ask others more knowledgeable if this specific Dodge application fit our trucks.
                    Even in Dodge land, the story says it was a two year, 1 ton only deal.
                    So, Pink Polka-dot Unicorns.
                    Last edited by foggydogg; 11-30-2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I would have posted this on the Truck forum but I have no idea what a 'taptalk' is.
                      As several folks here know, my curiosity here is over Budd wheels for 3/4 T trucks. Some time ago Jack Vines had a pair, and I just now am working on another two from Dean out in Colorado. They look pretty decent after media blasting, just need some hand tool work now.
                      Since we're talking Pink Unicorn level rare, I'm interested to know if these Dodge wheels - no matter how rare they are - could be another source for us 2R guys.
                      If you post your question on Stude Truck Talk, truckdog will probably answer your question. Tapatalk is just the host for STT. You need to register with them to post on STT -- but after that you can ignore them.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        IIRC, most of the 350s were dual rear wheel. These, like those on the Dodge mentioned by OP, will only fit DRW trucks, and won't work on Studebaker SRW 3/4-tons.
                        F350's with DRW were sold as a Cab & Chassis, or with factory installed flat and stake beds.

There were two pickup beds available for F350's with SRW: 9' Flareside & 9' Styleside Express beds.

There were probably more F350's pickups, than there were F350's with DRW

Stylesides were introduced in 1957, but there's very little info for any Ford truck prior to 1967, because FoMoCo threw away the records decades ago.

Comment

FWIW, Ford also sold the F350 Styleside 9' bed as a DRW. There was one in my neighborhood for several years.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

I have a 1953 F350 "single wheel" pickup w/9' bed. It has 17 inch 6 lug rims however I have never measured the pattern. Also have a 1961 One Ton Stude flat bed w/16 inch 6 lug rims DRW. Never measured them either. The Ford was bought new by a lumber company for delivery. 8E12T6 in NC

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                              FWIW, Ford also sold the F350 Styleside 9' bed as a DRW.

There was one in my neighborhood for several years.

jack vines
                              It would have been an aftermarket conversion, because there weren't any F350 DRW pickups until 1980.

Rear fenders are fiberglass and bolt to the Styleside bedsides.

Comment

Working...
                              X