Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Pads for Studes with disc brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Pads for Studes with disc brakes

These Girling pads were never used, think they will be "good to go" for replacement on Click image for larger version  Name:	Girling pads GDB 704 M59.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.8 KB ID:	1809831 the car? I would say the pads were laying on the shelf for 50 years.
    Last edited by Hawklover; 11-09-2019, 07:59 AM.

I'd sure try them. They have to be better than what you get today (with the exception of those 'Green Stuff' pads that Joe Hall uses).
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Girdling pads are likely to be metallic, which are the pads designed for the brakes. Remember, the Dunlop system was developed for racing. Metallic pads are the best for that venue, but take a lap or two to warmup and be fully useful. They also wick the heat away from the rotor to the caliper bridge faster. Organic materials are less “grippy”, but are adequate from a cold start.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        I'd sure try them. They have to be better than what you get today (with the exception of those 'Green Stuff' pads that Joe Hall uses).
        I have the Green Stuff pads in two of the three Hawks, but plan to replace them soon. They perform great, initial grab and fade resistance cannot be beat. But they are the filthiest pads I ever seen. Their dust is so bad, I cannot keep the whitewalls or wheels clean over 100 miles, by then the whitewalls become black walls. Gonna go back to the Hawk Performance pads, and prefer their High Performance Street (HPS) line. Never again for the Green Stuff.

Comment

Also "scored" these British made pads from the mid 1960's...beautiful NOS! Click image for larger version

Name:	brake pads.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1809926

Comment

The only thing I would worry about is the Metal plates coming loose, I had a set do that just sitting on the shelf!

Maybe if you could drop on on your concrete driveway and not break the Plate loose, it would be good to go.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The only thing I would worry about is the Metal plates coming loose, I had a set do that just sitting on the shelf!

Maybe if you could drop on on your concrete driveway and not break the Plate loose, it would be good to go.
              The plate is for pulling out the pad, even if they are loose, which they are not, is no biggie, once in they are in.

Comment

I have successfully used Ferodo FDS9 as they were intended for racing Jaguars. You certainly won't get any fade from these.
                Bill

Comment

The plate's most important role is to enable the retractor pin to retract the pads after the brake has been released.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                    The plate's most important role is to enable the retractor pin to retract the pads after the brake has been released.
                    Gord how true!!!.................should have thought of that!!

Comment

Working...
                    X