Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Lube recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Lube recommendation

What have you used in a non-power steering box for lubrication? I'd like to top off the box on my '58 Champion. Also, there appears to be a seal failure where the steering arm is attached since it looks like there's been drippage over the years. Is it a bear to get that arm off to tackle the seal? Obviously I'd mark both sides to reinstall on the same spot, and after 60+ years I don't begrudge a worn out seal. :-) Heck, I'm 67 and could use a few of my own seals replaced!

Is it a Ross box, or a Saginaw box? They use different lube. Ross boxes use special semi-fluid grease, because they have a sliding contact between the cam lever pin and the cam. Saginaw boxes are recirculating ball, and 90W gear lube without the EP rating is used. I have used moly-based CV joint grease in Ross boxes, and it seems to work. An adequate supply of "incorrect" lubricant may be better than an insufficient supply of the right stuff. The Saginaw box, viewed from the top, looks roughly cylindrical, with a pipe plug near the top end. The Ross box, when viewed from the fender well side, has a "sector-shaped" cover plate that looks sort of like a baseball field. I think you Champion should have a Saginaw.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I'm using 90wt GL1 in my Ross SL-54 box (the big ross box) in my '62. Works fine and I believe that is what the manual called for too.
      sigpic

Comment

I've been using NGLI #00 semi fluid grease in leaky steering boxes with good results. Bud

Comment

Later Ross boxes wth the roller pin sector shaft call for 90 wt. It's the earlier type with the solid pin that use the semi-fluid grease.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            Later Ross boxes wth the roller pin sector shaft call for 90 wt. It's the earlier type with the solid pin that use the semi-fluid grease.
            Which box is in an Avanti?

Comment

Mine is a Ross, (dress for less) box. :-) I've also used CV axle grease in others with no ill effects that I could tell. Thanks much, Guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Which box is in an Avanti?
                Avantis have the roller pin, and 90 wt is recommended. If the cross shaft bearings are sloppy, then the grease seal will leak. If you drive it long distances the heat from the manifold will cook the seal, and it will leak. The Avanti is also one of the only Stude boxes with a top seal. often hard as a rock too.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  Avantis have the roller pin, and 90 wt is recommended. If the cross shaft bearings are sloppy, then the grease seal will leak. If you drive it long distances the heat from the manifold will cook the seal, and it will leak. The Avanti is also one of the only Stude boxes with a top seal. often hard as a rock too.
                  So the semi fluid oil is not to be used?............Jon Myer sells it in a calking type of tube. ('64 Avanti)

Comment

Top off for dummies time.............. what is the correct way to determine if the box needs additional oil?

Comment

I was advised on this forum to use Lucas Chain Lube in my '59 Lark, Standard Steering and it works great.

Comment

I use John Deere Corn Head Grease.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                          Top off for dummies time.............. what is the correct way to determine if the box needs additional oil?
                          If you remove the fill plug and there is room to add more , you top it up. If it's been a while since you checked, or it's wet or greasy around the sector shaft...it does. This is one area nobody ever thinks about when lubing stuff.
                          sigpic

Comment

No matter which Lube it calls for, if the Seal is badly leaking as you say, NO "Oil" is going to work.
                            It will take John Deere Corn Head Semi-Fluid Grease or equivalent to KEEP it in.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

If you remove the fill plug and there is room to add more , you top it up. If it's been a while since you checked, or it's wet or greasy around the sector shaft...it does. This is one area nobody ever thinks about when lubing stuff.
                              What size 3/8 drive square socket can I use to remove the fill plug?
                              Last edited by Hawklover; Yesterday, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X