Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Body bolt orientation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r1lark
    replied
    All the cars I checked were South Bend cars. Maybe they put them in the opposite way in Hamilton?

Leave a comment:

• jpepper
    replied
    Originally posted by r1lark View Post
    Jeff, I don't think Jim is asking about body bolts that bolt the body down to the frame. My understanding (possibly incorrect?) is that he is asking about the bolts that attach the body supports (outriggers) to the frame at the bottom. See the pic below that I stole from the Classic Enterprises website. The red arrow is the bolt that I believe Jim is asking about.

Jim, can you confirm or deny?

Click image for larger version

Name:	body support.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1809687
    Yes, that is the location I am asking about. Thanks for all the replies. It helps. I always thought that they went from the bottom up with the nut on the top. This 66 I parted did not appear to have ever been apart. I had to chip original undercoating from the bolts and nuts in order to get a wrench on them. They were the original 3/8-24 fasteners. The nut was on the bottom with the bolt protruding. Maybe the assembly guy was a new guy filling in for someone missing that day. Thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Ahhh! That bolt! They do go the other way. Didn't think of them.( I have used SS bolts to replace them so they'll never rust again.)

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Jeff, I don't think Jim is asking about body bolts that bolt the body down to the frame. My understanding (possibly incorrect?) is that he is asking about the bolts that attach the body supports (outriggers) to the frame at the bottom. See the pic below that I stole from the Classic Enterprises website. The red arrow is the bolt that I believe Jim is asking about.

Jim, can you confirm or deny?

Click image for larger version

Name:	body support.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1809687

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    That is really interesting. In 50 years of dismantling Studebakers, I have not seen body bolts that go from bottom up except for front brace that goes from firewall and floor to frame; that takes a long bolt that goes from bottom of frame up with the nut conveniently placed inside brace where it can rust quickly so that any attempt to remove it is futile. Is this what you are talking about?

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Jim, just looked at four of my '63/'64 Lark-types......the '63 hardtop Skytop (definitely not unmolested), the '64 Challenger F-body (fairly unmolested), the '64 Daytona hardtop (fairly unmolested), and the '64 Commander 4-door (super unmolested 30K mile car when I got it in the late 1980s). In all the cars, I see no evidence that the body supports have been removed, and all have the same type (fine thread, typical head markings, same length) bolts.

In all of them, the body support bolts go from the bottom up (ie, the nut is on the top).

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Once in every great while I snug up body bolts on my cars. Just did the 58 Champion sedan and the 62 Lark Deluxe and the bolts came up from the bottom.. Makes sense as one wouldn't want the bolt shank hanging down to snag.

Leave a comment:

• jpepper
    started a topic Body: Body bolt orientation help

Body bolt orientation help

I am working on an assembly manual for Larks. The restoration of my Superlark is my sample subject. On both of my 63 Larks the bolts bolting the body supports to the frame go in from the bottom (3 on each side). I just took apart a 66 2 dr sedan that was never altered and the bolts were from the top down with the nuts on the bottom. I'd like to ask others with Larks, especially original unmolested cars to look which way the bolts were installed.

Jim
Working...
X