Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hint (Modification for cold-start priming)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Hint (Modification for cold-start priming)

To make life a little bit easier when priming a Stude that has been sitting for a long time, I filed some groves in the washer with a chain saw file to allow the fuel to run under to avoid removing the air cleaner.

Clever idea. However, wouldn't this also allow air through and bypass the filter element?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It's better, safer to fill the actual float bowl, rather than just squirt gas into the carburetor.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        Clever idea. However, wouldn't this also allow air through and bypass the filter element?
        Yes, some air could bypass but it would be negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          It's better, safer to fill the actual float bowl, rather than just squirt gas into the carburetor.

Mike
          Mr Mike could you elaborate. How is it safer? How would you fill the float bowel? This procedure takes about three seconds. An electric fuel pump would be the obvious answer, the program I am using is where there is no electric fuel pump. What is the difference if you remove the air cleaner and squirt fuel down the throat or squirt the fuel under a washer and leave the air cleaner in place?

Comment

You could probably locate the squeeze bottle inside the car, maybe on the transmission hump. Use a bottle with a nipple on it, attach a rubber hose then run it through the fire wall, and anchor it to your special washer on the air cleaner. That way you not have to get out and open the hood. Just give the bottle a squeeze or two, then fire it up.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 11-07-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I used to do the same thing with a mustard bottle. just pop the hood and squirt a little on there. wait till it all ran in before I pulled the choke.
              I also on another have a Boat squeeze primer under the frame, that works well too.

Comment

Every carbureted light aircraft has an internal priming system that squirts fuel directly into the intake manifold, this may be my next project.

Comment

My neighbor trashed a tractor engine because there was a tiny hole between the air cleaner and the engine; I would not advise doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post

Mr Mike could you elaborate. How is it safer? How would you fill the float bowel?
                    My vehicle doesn't have any bowels but to fill the fuel bowl I use a small squirt bottle and fill through the vent tubes.

Comment

I accept the correction on my spelling and I think your idea to fill the bowl is a good idea I will try that next time and I think I will turn my washer over to not allow unfiltered air to enter and trash my engine.

Comment

I just loosen the wing nut, put the gas in, and tighten the wing nut after the engine starts.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                        X