1963 studebaker avanti control valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1963 studebaker avanti control valve

Apparently my control valve is an early Ford which was commonly used as replacements on the Avantis. Has anyone obtained a rebuilt from Summit or what do you all do when you need one rebuilt. The Avanti control valves are very hard to find and if you do not have a core--even more difficult.
    Thanks Keith
    If you want to ride with the Big Dog
    ....keep your pedal to the metal, your nose in the air and paws on the wheel

sigpic

Remember> it's, not about the destination, its about the journey!
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride
    Keith Wahl , MD 858-518-2190 (C)

Keith,
    Check housing and spool valve. The Avanti is the same as Lark and K body 1961 -1964. Item: 1308-81 (Avanti) or 1308B-81 in the Lark/Hawk book. They are all over the place. I stock rebuilts.
    Claude
    sigpic
    Claude Chmielewski
    Studeski
    http://www.studeski.com
    Fillmore, Wisconsin
    47 M-16 Truck
    53 Commander Regal HT
    53 2R5
    60 Lark VIII Convertible
    60 5E7 Champ pickup
    62 5E7 Champ no box
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    63 Lark VI parts car
    63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    64 Commander Wagonaire
    64 Daytona Convertible
    50 Champion Regal (parts car)
    36 Dictator
    36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
      Keith,
      Check housing and spool valve. The Avanti is the same as Lark and K body 1961 -1964. Item: 1308-81 (Avanti) or 1308B-81 in the Lark/Hawk book. They are all over the place. I stock rebuilts.
      Claude
      This is good to know. I plan to rebuild the front end of the 62GT soon, and also replace the control valve at the same time. Will probably be trying to remember who it was here that stocks rebuilt ones. Hopefully can find this thread again when I need it. LOL
      Thanks Much

Comment

RockAuto has had in the past Remaned units that are rebuilt by a company in Cainbridge MN.

Comment

[QUOTE=keithwahl;n1809253]Apparently my control valve is an early Ford which was commonly used as replacements on the Avantis. Has anyone obtained a rebuilt from Summit or what do you all do when you need one rebuilt. The Avanti control valves are very hard to find and if you do not have a core--even more difficult.
          www.stangerssite.com These guys are the go to folks for everything PS..........they make most of the long ago parts that are NLA!

Comment

You are certainly welcome to buy parts form the "Stanger site" just be aware the control valve on Studebakers is not the same one as used on Mustangs, and in fact the control valve seals for the Ford WILL NOT FIT . They are a different diameter. But it is a good source for the rubber cushions on the end, and a better pitman arm seal, and one of the only places to get the tube seats that are pressed in the valve.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              You are certainly welcome to buy parts form the "Stanger site" just be aware the control valve on Studebakers is not the same one as used on Mustangs, and in fact the control valve seals for the Ford WILL NOT FIT . They are a different diameter. But it is a good source for the rubber cushions on the end, and a better pitman arm seal, and one of the only places to get the tube seats that are pressed in the valve.
              When I was a Ford parts guy, Jon Myer (when he lived in West L/A) used to buy Ford P/S control valves from me for use on Avanti's.

Jon wouldn't buy anything, if it didn't work.

Ford part number: C0AA-3A730-D = 1960 Ford Galaxie & Thunderbird with power assist P/S

1961/64 Ford Galaxie is different, will not work. 1961 and later Birds have integral, not power assist P/S

1965/66 Mustang V8 is unique, only fits these two years.

1965/66 Mustang I-6 valve is the same as 1965 Falcon I-6. There's no way, none that these Mustang valves would work on an Avanti.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 11-07-2019, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Well, Sure...anything can be MADE to work . But the PARTS won't work on Studebaker valves...just the WHOLE assembly. You would also have to change the casting that the hoses attach to. That has the larger bore that houses the LARGER spool valve.
                The original OP said MUSTANG valves... and quoted the Stangersite for parts.
                It IS true some of the very early pre MUSTANG valves WILL work. but it's a crap shoot to get the right ones.By now they all need proper rebuilding.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

When I called Stranger I was asked what kind of car, I said Studebaker Avanti.......he asked that the spool be sent to him "just to make sure".
                  He has new production spools for Studebakers. I was fortunate to purchase a brand new control valve that a long time member had purchased over 50 years ago and never used.

Comment

Working...
                  X