Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn signal and brake light not working. Updated with the results..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDWEAVER
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    The T/S Switches Jack B. has from '63 Larks, would be for: '61 to '66 ALL, and '61 to '64 (6E-8E) Champ Trucks, all the same, you don't need no stink'n Part Number! So No fit on a '59.
    Sorry if that came to you wrong StudeRich. I obviously don't know as much as you do so I had to ask for a part number so I could verify it with my chassis manual.
    I quoted jackb and obviously was not referencing you. I don't care for the way you budd in with information that I was not asking for. It's not really helpful.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The T/S Switches Jack B. has from '63 Larks, would be for: '61 to '66 ALL, and '61 to '64 (6E-8E) Champ Trucks, all the same, you don't need no stink'n Part Number! So No fit on a '59.

Leave a comment:

• RDWEAVER
    replied
    Originally posted by jackb View Post
    I have a few "used" directional switches for early & late Larks (Hawks too?) out of 63' Cruisers. Any takers @ $10. each ?
    Do you know the part number? I would be interested in a good spare if it is the right number. They aren't real thick on the ground anymore.

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    I have a few "used" directional switches for early & late Larks (Hawks too?) out of 63' Cruisers. Any takers @ $10. each ?

Leave a comment:

• RDWEAVER
    replied
    I took the switch apart when I restored the car 6 years ago because you were exactly right, lots of grunge in there. I cleaned it then and it was tricky and took quite a bit of patience. I did not think the tabs used to hold the assembly would survive bending them open and closed one more time so I was able to locate a NOS one from one of our vendors the switch is installed and its working like new.

Leave a comment:

• 1953champcoupe
    replied
    I suspect that if you take the switch apart you will find lots of "grunge" in there, clean it, polish the contacts and reassemble.

I foolishly did not check the switch before reassembly (I had swapped in a Hawk column in my 53) and ended up removing the switch to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Note, if it was rocket science, I'd not be able to do it

I initially disassembled the switch as you see in the picture. It turned out that it was much easier to do it on the bench. You have to have patience to thread the wires back down through the conduit in the coumn.

If home repair works then you saved $80? and if not.........well I think they were for sale, maybe marked down? in the flyer I got from Studebaker International a few days ago
    Last edited by 1953champcoupe; 03-29-2020, 05:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RDWEAVER
    replied
    I posted this thread back in November about my turn signal and brake lamp not working. I finally got around to determining the root cause of what is causing my problems. The part that has failed is the turn signal switch under the steering wheel. I wanted to post this here for anyone who may also have these symptoms.
    Now for another question, where can I buy a turn signal switch for a 59 hawk? NOS will be my first preference does anybody have one stowed away they would be willing to sell?

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
    The tail light works just no brake light or blinker. I have ruled out the grounding circuit thanks.
    Agree with altair above. Just because the tail light works doesn't mean there's not a ground problem. The electrons can go through one bulb filament, through the bulb base, through the other filament (thereby giving plenty of light) and then down the other circuit. The resistance in the two long wires and the two filaments are enough to make it look like the tail lamp circuit is working fine. I have seen this exactly situation several times. Before you tear into anything, just run simple ground wires to the tail lamp housings, both working and not working. Simple test.

Leave a comment:

• RDWEAVER
    replied
    All good stuff here you guys. Not today but some day soon I will use the information gained here and see if I can repair this. I will let you all know what I find here.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Strasser
    replied
    If the parking lights work but not any of the directional or brake lights. The only place that the directional and break lights wiring are together is in the steering column
    As Godor said; check the plug that is located where the wires enter the steering column. The next thing to do is remove the steering wheel and check the turn signal switch.
    If you have access to a wiring diagram color code you should be able to unplug the plug and jumper out the directional signal wiring.
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    Seeing that you have confirmed the grounds this drawing won't matter but this is what happens with one open and one closed ground in the same circuit with two filament type lamps.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Before removing the steering wheel, check the rubber harness plug that connects the wires from the signal switch to the under-dash harness. It may not be fully seated. Would not hurt to unplug/replug it.

Leave a comment:

• RDWEAVER
    replied
    The tail light works just no brake light or blinker. I have ruled out the grounding circuit thanks.

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    These non working lights can fool you frequently the light assembly that is working is the one with the bad ground. The light that is not working is supplying the ground through its filament to the working light assembly. You can change bulbs till you know what freezes over and it will not fix it because the bulb is not the issue. I met a fellow that had this problem and he was back to the shop four times to have bulbs changed and I explained to him that it is the working light assembly that is the problem, he went back one more time and told them what he had learned and the problem was promptly fixed. I have had this happen on two of my cars. Don't be fooled by the working light.
    Draw an electrical circuit out and you will see how it works.

Leave a comment:

• RDWEAVER
    replied
    It looks like I may be removing the steering wheel to check the wiring connections under there. Better there than under the dash I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X