Valve removal, 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Valve removal, 259

After I removed the valve springs, the valves in one head slid right out. The other side, several valves, that portion of the valve above the keepers was very tight going through the very upper part of the valve guide hole. So much so, there are some scratches on the valve stem above the keepers. I wiped them clean before removal. Also, one valve stem had a couple little dings in the very upper stem. The dings don't look recent. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

It sounds like loose Valve adjustment may have hammered them and Mushroomed the Tops of the Valves. If they are tight at the center of the Valves, they are bent.
    Always replace the Valve Guides, roll the Push Rods and Valves on a Flat surface like a Table Saw or Drill Press Table to check them.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I often have to clean up the keeper grooves in the valve stems with a flat file to remove small burrs that prevent them from going through the guides.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yes. If they are badly mushroomed, take a file and dress the very top of the valve to remove bulged out part before pushing it thru guide.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it.
          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I mic'd the valve stems, and they are just slightly bulged above the keeper groove. I gently filed them, and now they slide through like the others do.

Thanks again for the help.
            Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Working...
            X