Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Avanti fuel injection and 200 r 4 transmission conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Avanti fuel injection and 200 r 4 transmission conversion

1963 R1 Avanti with air conditioniong
    Anyone with experiences converting the carburetor set up to FI Tech Fuel Injection
    Anyone who has converted the factory automatic to a 200R4

I would like to know what problems you had, how happy you are with the result
    For the transmission issue what do you do for the shift linkage in the car as it is no longer 1,2 D
    it is 1,2,3 D

Finally do you change your rear end from 3.31 to 3.73 or other

Thanks Keith
    If you want to ride with the Big Dog
    ....keep your pedal to the metal, your nose in the air and paws on the wheel

sigpic

Remember> it's, not about the destination, its about the journey!
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride
    Keith Wahl , MD 858-518-2190 (C)

The shift linkage thing is the easiest, just get a quadrant indicator from an 80’s Avanti. They all show 1,2,3,D
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Any comment on the fuel injection?
      What is a 1970 R3 Avanti?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by keithwahl View Post
        Any comment on the fuel injection?
        What is a 1970 R3 Avanti?
        No such thing built as a factory built "1970 R3 Avanti". What are your referring to?
        Last edited by studegary; 11-02-2019, 10:47 AM.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Back in the 90's, I put a Hi-po Paxton on my 70 using an R3 airbox. I'd post a pic but haven't figured out how to do that yet...
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I have used the Holley Sniper system . Works well, and simple to hook up. Get the complete system with the fuel pump and lines. Ran a new line, and used the existing line for the return. It has to be large enough to handle the return volume. 1/4" isn't large enough. Only drawback is removing the tank for added fitting.
            Attached Files
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez hawk what year is your car
              how did you attach the return line
              what fuel pump do you use/? Keith

sigpic

Comment

I have EFI in two GT Hawks. If you are looking for more performance, i.e. more power, EFI will not do anymore than a good, performance tuned carb. OTOH, if looking for relief from vapor lock, EFI is the best way to go. As for MPG, it's. wash. There are several EFI systems available, but any of them, if setup without a return line to the tank, fall short in relieving vapor lock. So how happy you will be with EFI, depends on what are your goals are.

I also have a 700R in a GT Hawk, which is very similar to a 200R4. I run a 3.54 rear end, but first tried a 3.07, then a 3.31. I believe you will be happier with a 3.73 than the 3.31.
                Last edited by JoeHall; 11-05-2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

I just opted out of an EFI on the Avanti because of the massive bundle of wiring that had to be included (into) the airbox. How much metal can you cut out and maintain the seal?
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

In-tank pump is definitely best, in terms of less noise and vibration. I have read many threads on other forums, of folks complaining about noise and vibration from in-line pumps. Many have made a science out of trying to quieten them down, but they are just not as quiet as the in-tank.

The in-tank pump is like a modern car with EFI; so quiet, you must be still and listen in order to hear it. Also, the in-tank runs cooler, so said to last longer. Though I have not read any complaints of reliability problems with the in-line. Only drawback with in-tank is that it is more trouble to change, if ever needed. I have over 65,000 miles total on the two GTs with EFI, and neither had ever had a pump problem.

Comment

Originally posted by keithwahl View Post
                      Bez hawk what year is your car
                      how did you attach the return line
                      what fuel pump do you use/? Keith
                      The car is a 63. I used the original steel line as the return line, and ran a new line (supplied in the "kit") . The pump is included in the Sniper master kit. As are the fittings, clamps, and even filters.
                      Attached Files
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948

Comment

Why did you choose Holley Sniper over FiTech, Fast or Edlebrock?
                        How long has it been in the car
                        What issues were you having with your carbureted system?

Keith

sigpic

Comment

I was having fan controller issues, and vapor lock issues. The controller would loose memory when the owner unhooked the battery. The backup I installed wouldn't last more than a few weeks.
                          I chose Holley, because the speed shop down the street carries it. It's one of the easiest to hook up, most complete, and the controller is small and unobtrusive. It's been in the car for about 6 months now.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948

Comment

Hey all, my nickles worth -

First, all of the "normal" bolt on fuel injection kit throttle bodies (Holley, FITech, FAST, MSD etc.) use the same basic linkage arm as the Carter, Edelbrock, Holley carburetors. This provides a very easy adaptation for the automatic trans. kick-down cable. There are MANY cable holders to choose from, from just a few dollars to over $100 for nice sturdy billet brackets. Check out Summit or Jegs for "kick-down brackets" or "kick-down cable kits". I bought the cheaper Lokar cable kit. for the T-200-4R in my daily driver Conestoga.

The T-200-4R is a great trans. for the Stude engine. It's light, has great gear ratios, the parasitic (internal power) losses are very small (better than any other auto trans.) and is physically small for an automatic trans. Just about everyone that has them, and-or builds them recommends either a 3.55 or the 3.73 rear gear ratio. These gear sets provide the best overall ratios thought the range, from first to fourth. The 3.31 is just too high for an overdrive transmission car, unless you drive a constant 80mph..! The T-200-4R in my daily driver Conestoga has a 3.73 gear set to go with it.

As far as brand, most all work...VERY...similarly mechanically/electronically, they just look a little different. As far as brand recommended, I recommend the Holley Sniper. Why... It's hand held screen has a little more information and is a little larger than the FITech. The Holley tech. support/help is MUCH better than the FITech. This is coming from two "Hot Rod"shops that I know of and they do fairly regular installations of both. Well, correct that, one shop has changed, they do not install the FITech any longer, mostly because the FITech seems to require more work to set up, and because of the technical support is not nearly as good as the Holley guys. I know two people that have good mechanical knowledge, that have removed the FITech. One went to the Holley Sniper, one went back to a carburetor.

That's my short description of the knowledge I have on current fuel injection kits. On my Hot Rod Conestoga, after I get it finished and the bugs worked out, I will be using the Holley Terminator kit.

Mike

Comment

I have the sniper on my 427 cobra replica. It works pretty well. If I had it to do over I might just go with a Holley carb.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X