power steering pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: power steering pump

I can move the pulley on my power steering pump in and out about 1/16 inch. There is no side to side play, however. I'm just wondering if this is normal or an indication of a problem with a bearing or something else. The car is a 55 President. Thanks.

With the Eaton pumps, that is pretty normal.
    Seriously.
    I have had a good dozen apart. There is typically little wear in them.
    '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Not sure about that on a Saginaw Pump, the '53 to '57 Studes and '57 & '58 Packards have Saginaw, not Eaton.

It is best to consult the Shop Manual.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If it works and it doesn't leak, forget about it.

Comment

Thanks to those who answered my post. Just got the car on the road after 30+ year storage, and the first few short runs [40 =/- miles], there were no problems. Took it for another run a few weeks ago, and there was a rapping from under the hood that had me thinking engine at first. On closer check, it is coming from the p/s pump. That is when I noticed the end play & wondered if it is normal. I'm going to flush out the pump in case there is dirt or hardened fluid, etc. from all those years of sitting. I didn't do anything to the pump on the rebuild of the car, except add some trans. fluid. Haven't had a chance to do any farther checking since posting the original post.

Comment

Working...
          X