Hawk Steering Shaft Info Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Hawk Steering Shaft Info Needed

I need to know the steering shaft diameter and spline count for a 56 Hawk. I asked this question before, but lost the info. I'm trying to locate a Grant Adapter Kit from another vehicle with the same size shaft/spline count, but I will need this info before talking to Grant. Thanks...

I'm not sure when Stude changed the column shaft ; but, a Ford steering wheel fit right on my '62 GT perfectly. Chevy no go! I know the Chevy/GM is 3/4" diameter and 36 spline. The Ford and my GT are also 3/4" diameter, I believe they are 40 spline but never counted them. The taper is slightly different between the GM and Ford too.

Comment

The shafts changed from 56 to 57 on up...

Comment

Is the change to the smaller shaft in 56 or 57 ? I know 55 back is the larger shaft. I have an adapter that fits 55 back I know, because I have tried it on my 53 and a 55 I had. Somebody help us out here on the size and year change.

Comment

I get .882" OD, and 36 splines.

OOPS, sorry, I meant .882", and have corrected it above. Actually this morning, after sanding surface rust off, it is .880". That measurement is down on the smooth area of the shaft. Topside, at the splines, it is .860". Spline count is 36 again this morning.
          Last edited by JoeHall; 11-03-2019, 04:42 AM.

Comment

56 was the last large diameter shaft and 57 was the first small diameter shaft.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks, Roy: In this case, I have a adapter for the 56 back. The large diameter. I don't think they have made one of these in a long time. I bought it for a 53. I tried it and it works. If I remember correctly, none of the large diameter adapters had provision for turn signal cancel. In the past, I have taken the ring from steering wheels and put on these adapters. The ones I have had for the large shaft have been steel, not aluminum. I only have one of these left, and since the Saturday Night Special is my "last hot rod" , I will have no need for spare parts I have hoarded. It's for sale. I'll dig it out and post a picture if anyone wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                Thanks, Roy: In this case, I have a adapter for the 56 back. The large diameter. I don't think they have made one of these in a long time. I bought it for a 53. I tried it and it works. If I remember correctly, none of the large diameter adapters had provision for turn signal cancel. In the past, I have taken the ring from steering wheels and put on these adapters. The ones I have had for the large shaft have been steel, not aluminum. I only have one of these left, and since the Saturday Night Special is my "last hot rod" , I will have no need for spare parts I have hoarded. It's for sale. I'll dig it out and post a picture if anyone wants it.
                I just now sent you a PM

Comment

I'll buy it from you. PM me...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                    I'll buy it from you. PM me...
                    Since Flashback's may be one of the last on the planet, I was gonna buy it in order to have a few reproduced. I have a local machinist who can make anything. But if you just gotta have this one, I will acquiesce.

Comment

Actually, all I really need is the Hub Part Number. I believe the Grant installation kit for the 46-75 Jeep CJ is the same kit, but I need the Hub Part number to be sure.

Comment

I'll try and dig it out tomorrow. I am off work. I'll post a picture. OK. Again this one is steel.

Comment

I sent you a PM. Still need to purchase yours....

Comment

Here we go with the pictures of the Adapter. It's a Covico HST. $75.00 plus shipping.
                            Last edited by Flashback; 11-05-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X