1962 Hawk Dash Turn Signal Indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

Just look for bulbs with a BA9S bayonet base or the original bulb number on ebay. I think these are the ones I used in the indicators https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-WHITE-B...4AAOSwRHRc9zsv I bought the ones that look like bulbs too, but don't think I used them in the indicators for some reason. I did use them in the gauges. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-Pure-Wh...QAAOSwi4RdT3Kr
    I ordered and received the ones in your 2nd link. Installed them in the speedo, clock, and left instrument cluster yesterday. Went for a drive last night, and only the speedo is a bit brighter. The others are same as before, except the light is now white instead of yellowish. Guess I need to find some that are brighter, or throw more light sideward.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
      I ordered and received the ones in your 2nd link. Installed them in the speedo, clock, and left instrument cluster yesterday. Went for a drive last night, and only the speedo is a bit brighter. The others are same as before, except the light is now white instead of yellowish. Guess I need to find some that are brighter, or throw more light sideward.
      With my speedo, nothing would make it much brighter, there is only one lamp in it and it's just not enough. So.. I dismantled the gauge and cleaned the glass on the inside, it was amazing how dirty it was without looking dirty. While it was apart, I sanded down the diameter of the gauge face about .040" (.080" diameter) allowing more light to make it's way to the face. I then drilled two more holes in the case in order to install two more lamps, and painted the interior of the case bright white. I used those same bulb shaped BA9S LED's in blue in it (and all the other gauges). Now the speedo is plenty bright and looks great, but I now find that my eyesight is bad enough I can't discern those tiny marks through either lens of my glasses anyway. The change to LED's was enough of an improvement in the small gauges I don't have any issue with them.

Since then, I needed to add a few gauges and change a couple so I've swapped the analog gauges for digital ones. I wasn't sure I'd like them but they were cheap; I have been surprised. They are very easy to see/read. Currently I'm planning to move the turn indicators to the top of the instrument panel using self contained LED lamps. The stock ones are now hidden by the shift indicator of my new steering column. ('62 GT)( night/day pic before changing speedo ... cheap camera= poor focus/glare)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Instrument panel day night .025 resize.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	1811252

Comment

I discovered the problem and it lay in the ignition switch itself. When you turn on the ignition switch the indicators work just fine but start the car and no go. However if you jiggle the switch after starting the car all becomes normal. Who would have thought!!

Comment

Working...
        X