Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 63 Hawk Transmission Engagement

Hello,

My 63 GT Hawk has the 3-speed flight-o-matic. Recently when cold it takes a second or to before it engages when shifted into drive. Also now noticing that between 2nd and 3rd (again when cold) it will rev up before shifting into 3rd. Advice? What am I dealing with here.

THank you

Lance

This is THE MOST common issue after 56 years of storage and use. The Seals in the Clutch Drums will become brittle and misshapen-ed which will allow Fluid to leak internally causing Clutch slippage.

The longer it runs like this, the MORE contamination will happen as in ALL Automatic Transmissions including in the Torque Converter.
    This usually requires a full rebuild to repair. Bad now, but more $ Later.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well that is not what I wanted to hear. Supposedly the transmission had been rebuilt about 15 years ago--but then is sat for most of the time since then. Any guess as to the cost of a rebuild? Will most transmission shops know what they are doing with it?

Comment

I agree with Rich. As a temporary aid, I would try changing the fluid and adjusting the bands. This MAY satisfy you enough to at least delay a rebuild.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Agree with Gary. Change the ATF and adjust the bands. Then, just be a bit more patient while it's cold, and you can probably squeeze several years and thousands more miles out of it. It's easy to monitor the deterioration, and it's unlikely to totally crap out overnight, so hopefully you can coordinate a rebuild with other things. Whatever you do, do not put any of the snake oil in it you see on shelves FLAPS. That stuff swells seals, and in some cases that causes disastrous consequences. Put another way, only use ATF.
          Last edited by JoeHall; 10-29-2019, 05:15 AM.

Comment

So local transmission place (AAMCO) says 1150 to rebuild (includes all labor to take it out and re-install) with 18 month, 18K miles warranty or lifetime warranty for another 350. Given I plan to keep her forever, it seems like a lifetime is a deal. Also what is the model-nomenclature of the flight-o-matic T-85? Thoughts?
            Last edited by CampbelHawk; 10-28-2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CampbelHawk View Post
              So local transmission place (AMMCO) says 1150 to rebuild (includes all labor to take it out and re-install) with 18 month, 18K miles warranty or lifetime warranty for another 350. Given I plan to keep her forever, it seems like a lifetime is a deal. Thoughts?
              My thoughts - Refer to posts 4 and 5.
              I am not a fan of AAMCO (I believe that is what you are referring to, unless it is someone else trying to play off their name). You are really at the mercy of the person, not shop, doing the work. Also find out what is replaced with new parts in their "rebuild". A rebuilt transmission usually includes a lot less than a remanufactured automatic transmission.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Its AAMCO, my mistake in original post. A
                lso what is the model-nomenclature of the flight-o-matic T-85?

Comment

Borg Warner model 8 --12 . Transtar kit part # 106006A paper, rubber,seals, friction plates and steel plates. Lou Cote

Comment

Like they said , change fluid and filter and don't forget the torque convertor. You might try Type F fluid; shpuldn't hurt anything and it does change shifting a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by CampbelHawk View Post
                      So local transmission place (AAMCO) says 1150 to rebuild (includes all labor to take it out and re-install) with 18 month, 18K miles warranty or lifetime warranty for another 350. Given I plan to keep her forever, it seems like a lifetime is a deal. Also what is the model-nomenclature of the flight-o-matic T-85? Thoughts?
                      AAMCO is the last place anyone should go to rebuild an automatic transmission. The company spends its money on advertising and not on training their mechanics. If you go to AAMCO you will regret it later, and not much later either.

A lifetime warranty is meaningless when the mechanics are incompetent and the parts are substandard.

In my personal experience, the same goes for Midas muffler.

This is my opinion and I value it highly.
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-29-2019, 07:47 PM.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I agree on the NO AAMCO, if they did the job right the FIRST TIME, you would not need a $350.00 Warranty!

Not to mention the frustration of returning the Car several times and Paying for all 9 Qts. of ATF each time.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X