Upper and Lower radiator hose..SBC in a 53 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Upper and Lower radiator hose..SBC in a 53 Coupe

I've got a new Aluminum radiator in my 53 Coupe and the connectors are not the same size as the Chevy water pump and manifold connection. The folks at Superior Radiator tell me that even Jack Chisenhall's Vintage Air coupe ran the same radiator (with the original outlets) and that Studebaker hoses will fit. What little info I have found is that the original Studebaker hoses don't have the same ID. The searches I've done on this subject have NOT been productive

Are there some that do?

I did it 30 years ago, but if I remember right the Stude hoses are smaller, and if you use a short piece of Stude hose on the radiator you can fit the Chevy hose over it. I later changed the outlets on the radiator to the Chevy size then many years later had a new radiator built to fit by Griffin.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
      I did it 30 years ago, but if I remember right the Stude hoses are smaller, and if you use a short piece of Stude hose on the radiator you can fit the Chevy hose over it. I later changed the outlets on the radiator to the Chevy size then many years later had a new radiator built to fit by Griffin.
      You just told me what I thought was true, I think the radiator company screwed up and made mine with the original size and now don't want to fix the problem.

Comment

I ran into this problem when I put a late 289 in the 55 after all kinds of try’s I found stainless steel hose at a speed shop they come in different lengths and have rubber sleeves so you can go from 1 1/2 too 2 inch . Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
          Agree, use the Chevy hoses. Gates makes adapters to reduce the ID that bond to the hose if you don't want to use old hose. The biggest problem will be the bottom hose as it will turn quickly between the radiator and the water pump.

As far as numbers, I can't help but what I do is take a metal coat hanger or bailing wire and generate the shape/length of the hose needed to connect the points then take that to your FLAPS and look at what's on the rack that will fit. Generally, longer hoses will have what you need some where in their length so don't just look for the length you need.

I've been doing this for a long time as I generally just buy a generic aluminum radiator for what I need. The fitment issues are usually handled by TIG welding a bracket if it's needed or finding custom hoses. Custom or Generic, they cool the same if sized correctly.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
            I ran into this problem when I put a late 289 in the 55 after all kinds of try’s I found stainless steel hose at a speed shop they come in different lengths and have rubber sleeves so you can go from 1 1/2 too 2 inch . Just a thought
            This is what I've done on my current GT, but I used plain old .062 wall 1/2" SS tube and silicone connector hose from ebay, they run about $5 each.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1806977
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0872.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1806976
            Attached Files

Comment

As Paul Harvey said for years "now here's the rest of the story". I ended up using a Gates 22013 upper hose (listed for 85 C10 Chevy pickup w/305), I cut it, added steel tubing and said "good nuff"

However the lower hose was a bugger. I purchased one hose (if I remember correctly it was the lower hose for the same 85 Chevy pickup with a 305) and after I cut it in three sections it still was not right. I took the hose that I had cobbled together to the NAPA store in Atlantic, IA and the counterman picked NAPA 8630 immediately, I thought it looked pretty good. It's a tight fit, almost too tight, I wish I could have gotten a better fit but I think with one splice it is going to work.

One solution that I tried that didn't work was to use the V8 Studebaker lower hose. I've hot a Hawk frame sitting outside with a V8 just sitting there and the position of the water pump inlet looked about the same as a Chevy. It didn't even come close. I had really thought I might have hit a home run with that idea.

Now that I am done I am sure that someone will post what they used that worked without a splice If they do that would be great, it will help the next person along and if I live long enough and need new hoses then I will change to a better fitting hose!!

Comment

Got this fitting at the hardware store, might work for you. 2 inch - 11/2 inch

Comment

I have a stock 289 in my Hawk with the "Jeep" aluminum radiator. I measured the water pump outlet and the lower hose radiator outlet and bought a flex hose with the two different diameters. I had to go through a couple of different lengths, but it works fine. On my Willys pickup with a 3.8L Buick V6, I bought the water pump outlet size, used an exhaust spacer with the two different o.d.'s and a short piece of hose to join the whole thing to the radiator.

Comment

Working...
                  X