BW With Overdrive Locking Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: BW With Overdrive Locking Up

I've finally got my 62 Hawk running and the first drive was, interesting. I took it out today and while backing up, the trans seem to lock up in reverse. I remember when I was replacing the us joints and spinning the driveshaft it did seem to lock at times. I figured fluid or the overdrive cable needed disengaging would fix the issue. Today I could not clear the trouble for abut 5 minutes of driving forward and then back, all in my tiny garage. Finally it cleared up. Is it possible the one way clutch on the overdrive is sticking? I may just overhaul the original transmission until the one in the car, from a swap meet, locks up for good. I have the original ready to go, hopefully by then.
    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

When you shift into reverse, a rod inside the transmission locks OUT the overdrive. That puts the one way clutch out of the picture.

Could you explain more about "the trans seem to lock up in reverse"? What does that mean?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have never experienced it but, have heard, if the solenoid is grounded (governor stuck closed or wire grounded somewhere between it and the solenoid) then the car will lock up in reverse, exactly as you describe. So I'd start be disconnecting all wires to the solenoid, and tape them off, then see if it still locks up in reverse.

Question: With ignition switched on, can you pull the OD cable all the way out, to disengage the OD?

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        When you shift into reverse, a rod inside the transmission locks OUT the overdrive. That puts the one way clutch out of the picture.

Could you explain more about "the trans seem to lock up in reverse"? What does that mean?
        It's exactly like Joe described. I tried to back out of the garage, it goes a foot and like someone threw it in park. I step on the clutch and can go forward a bit and try again and it's still locking. Eventually, it freed up and I was able to back up like nothing happened.
        "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          I have never experienced it but, have heard, if the solenoid is grounded (governor stuck closed or wire grounded somewhere between it and the solenoid) then the car will lock up in reverse, exactly as you describe. So I'd start be disconnecting all wires to the solenoid, and tape them off, then see if it still locks up in reverse.

Question: With ignition switched on, can you pull the OD cable all the way out, to disengage the OD?
          I think I did pull it out and it did not make a difference. Today, it seemed fine and I decided to go ahead and try to check the cable adjustment. Currently I do not have any power to the solenoid, I'm still dealing with the burnt blue wire early in my thread since it fed the overdrive switch. I think I'll make a circuit breaker and connect it to the OD switch and see if I can get overdrive. I tried powering it and never heard any clicking.
          "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

I used to put a switch on floor shift handle (conversion kit) that grounded governor wire. Used to impress myself by splitting gears and having 6 speeds. But if switch was on car would not roll back on hills. They used to advertise parts to do this in Popular mechanics type magazines. Not good to use it in first gear unless you had spare parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

I think I did pull it out and it did not make a difference. Today, it seemed fine and I decided to go ahead and try to check the cable adjustment. Currently I do not have any power to the solenoid, I'm still dealing with the burnt blue wire early in my thread since it fed the overdrive switch. I think I'll make a circuit breaker and connect it to the OD switch and see if I can get overdrive. I tried powering it and never heard any clicking.
              The reason I asked about pulling the OD handle out is because the problems you describe sound related to the sprag clutch. Pulling the handle all the way out blocks the sprag's operation. So then, if the car no longer locks up in reverse, it is almost certainly the sprag. OTOH, if it still locks up, then back to square one in troubleshooting. If unable to pull the handle out (will feel stuck solid), that may indicate the solenoid is stuck in the engaged position (usually happens when grounded by faulty governor or wires).

You mentioned checking cable adjustment, be it's adjusted so when the handle is all the way out, the ear on the transmission is up against the stop; pushed all the way in, the ear is against the stop in the other direction.

If it is the sprag, it may just be gummed up. So first approach would be to try to free it up by adding a solvent of some sort to the oil, i.e. kerosene or Sea Foam, then driving it a few miles. Alternately, you could put the rear end up on stands then, "drive" it while stationary.

Comment

Gang, I'll have to run it a bit longer and see if it gets better. Sometimes with these cars that sit so long, I believe a little exercise would be good for it.
                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Yes, mine won't go into reverse at all if my bypass switch is turned on. I've confused myself a couple times that way by forgetting I still had OD on and tried to back up.....LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X