Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1/2 ton - C-cab - front springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame/Springs: 1/2 ton - C-cab - front springs

Quick question about front leaf spring question.

Have a family member working of a 1950 2R5 and had a question about front leaf springs.

Back in the '60s, my dad and Uncle pulled the original engine and tranny and put in a 259/FOM from a rolled '60 Lark. Over the years, those front leaf springs have gotten to where there is not a lot of up and down so he want to replace them.

Question - did Studebaker still use the same bushings/mounting points on the later V8 1/2 ton trucks as they did with the 2Rs? If so, we could just order a pair of springs for a '56 or so and they will bolt up similar to the originals.

This was the truck 20 years ago - has not changed since then.

I believe so...

Comment

I wanna say yes, but someone with a parts book might need to confirm. get new bushings while you're at it.
      and check the shackles. i had to cut the "bolts" on mine, make new holes and replace them with regular bolts that I welded in place after confirming they worked.

Comment

My truck uses the heavy duty 11 leaf springs. It handles fine with a V-8. I do hope to get it a little lower when I swap a 1/2 ton rear in back into it.
        Attached Files
        sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

The parts book shows the same bushings for 1/2 ton PUs from 1949-1956.

Comment

Working...
          X