Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

OE Rim Replacement Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: OE Rim Replacement Question

Time to replace the OE rims on my '55 Commander Regal Coupe. Coker suggested a Ford OE rim, 15x6, with the 4.5x5 bolt pattern, 3 1/2" backspace. I want to make sure that my optional wire spoke Studebaker wheel covers will fit properly before I buy the replacement rims. Any insight from the members?

That would be too wide for a 6.70 x15 tire. If you put a big fat radial tire on it and you do not have power steering you will be sorry. If you go with a 5 or 5 1/2" rim you can use a 205 radial or a 7.50 bias OK. Watch the offset-- you don't want too much: stick close to OE. I do not think you'd have any trouble with your wheel covers. Sounds like a nice car. I bought one as a parts car for $50 once. It had been owned by a drunk and had a lot of dents but no rust and he'd much rather invest in Ripple than motor oil. Wish I'd have r estrored it now, but I guess you can't save 'em all.

Comment

Originally posted by Carcur View Post
      Time to replace the OE rims on my '55 Commander Regal Coupe. Coker suggested a Ford OE rim, 15x6, with the 4.5x5 bolt pattern, 3 1/2" backspace. I want to make sure that my optional wire spoke Studebaker wheel covers will fit properly before I buy the replacement rims. Any insight from the members?
      The only way to be sure your wheel cover will fit on their wheel is send your wheel cover to them.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I've used 6.5" wide Ford wheels from a '93-'97 Crown Victoria on both our '53 coupe and '62GT with no clearance issues and both wheel covers fit fine. Their backspace is 3.75" and I've run both 205-75-15 and 215-70-15 tires on them. Both fit well and had no issues. Keep in mind if you use Ford wheels you need Ford lug nuts, they're larger to fit properly in the Ford wheel's larger holes. Chrysler wheels use the same small lug nuts as the Stude.
        sigpic

Comment

I second the Ford 6.5" wheels. Put them on my GT and they fit like they were made for the car. The 6" wheels should work just as well.

Roger List
          Roger W. List
          Proud Studebaker Owner

sigpic

Comment

I believe the issue may be with the "Speedster" wheel cover. This wheel cover is held on with the lugs. If the replacement wheel is too deep or too shallow, the wheel covers will not fit.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
              I believe the issue may be with the "Speedster" wheel cover. This wheel cover is held on with the lugs. If the replacement wheel is too deep or too shallow, the wheel covers will not fit.
              That being the case , I'd say you'll have to try the wheel cover on whatever wheel you come up with to see how they'll fit. Hopefully before you buy them.
              sigpic

Comment

Some 1979/89 LTD/Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis have 15" x 6" wheels, some have 15" x 6.50" wheels.

E8AZ-1012-A (replaced B-1012, C0AZ-1012-A) .. 1/2" -20 Lug Nut / Not used with styled aluminum and styled steel wheels.

Misc. applications: Myriad 1932/1990's FoMoCo Passenger Cars / 1953/83 F100 // 1966/96 Bronco // 1975/96 F150 // 1975/2013 E100/150.

Comment

Working...
                X