Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1962 Hawk Rear Spring Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame/Springs: 1962 Hawk Rear Spring Installation

In my Hawk rebuild I replaced all springs. I noticed that the forward end of the leaf springs have worked their way such that each now rests against the inner part of the car frame. I had them centrally located and now see that they have a mind of their own. What might I do to get them hanging properly? a function of placement at the axle/u-bolts? chet445

You will never get them centered. There was an Avanti fix that I have been using for years, but you will play hell trying to get them centered.

Comment

I kind of figured that but was hopeful that someone had the experience and solved the problem. I intend then to just make hard rubber washers and poke in to eliminate the noise from their rubbing.

Comment

The Avanti fix is in AOIA News Letter #9 Spring 1967 pages 5-6. I used UHMW plastic bar stock and machined my own bushes and used stainless steel sleeves that I machined up to space each hanger bracket so they didn't squeak.

Comment

It is due to what in my opinion is a bad bushing design. I replaced the bushings on my '62 with Delrin bushings I made, (I assume much like the Avanti fix above). They work great, and stop the rear of the car from "wallowing", shifting left and right over the axle.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_144133.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1806291
          Here are my new bushings, next to the factory ones:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_190831.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1806292
          Last edited by bensherb; 10-11-2019, 11:12 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

bensherb, where can I obtain the bushings you have shown in the picture? If others have the same problem then it would be beneficial to all. chet

Comment

bensherb I sent you a PM!

Comment

Working...
              X