No announcement yet.

switching from 2bbl to 4bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do my eyes deceive me or was this manifold modified so that it mounts the secondaries beside the primaries rather than fore and aft as most units are?

Comment

You'd be suprised at how much difference stock dual exhaust makes over single. It gets even better with larger pipes and low restriction mufflers. There's a happy medium in that mix also, if you don't want much noise. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AFB-C...QQcmdZViewItem

would this work or should I purchase a new edelbrock 1403

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
        259cid flight o matic

Comment

Yes, this should work. I've never heard of these guys, but if the carb is what they say it is, it will work. I swear by the Edelbrock myself, so I guess it's your choice. If you buy this one, let us know how it works out. I'm ready to take a chance with your money!

Comment

Edelbrock Performer Series Model 1403 with electric choke. Forget the old Carter. I had a Carter wcfb in the 62 Hawk with 289 cid that I got from a very reliable Studebaker parts source. Unfortunately if I didn't start the car on a daily basis, I would be dang near impossible to start a week later without spraying some starter fluid in the carb! It was also impossible to adjust the carb for the car to run right. go with the Edelbrock and be done with it. The car now starts easily and runs great!!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
            Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

You can use your "modified" intake with no problems. I will also recommend the Edelbrock 1403/4 500 cfm carbs. The trouble with the original AFB/WCFB carbs is that the fuel bowls are vented. This allows the gas in the bowls to evaporate between startings (a few days). Even if the carbs are in perfect shape, you will still have this problem. It takes alot of starter cranking to re-fill the fuel bowls, or the need for an electric fuel pump to use as a carb-primer.

http://ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/Carb/carbconversion.htm

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
              Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
              Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bunzard

Do my eyes deceive me or was this manifold modified so that it mounts the secondaries beside the primaries rather than fore and aft as most units are?
                Yes, your eyes deceive you! Secondaries (larger) are always in the rear.
                The nearside (or bottom) of the photo is the FRONT of the Engine.

sirbum: an Engine with a modified set of heads and or larger intakes and or a hotter cam is NOT the same as a STOCK 259, so it's Carburetor requirement is NOT the same!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I need info to clarify what I'm reading. I have a 54-232 ci the intake is stock, if I get a stock 4 brl intake are the ports on the heads smaller, larger or same size as my stock 232 ci intake.
                  thanks for any replies.

Comment

Hi, Alexander,

The 232" intake ports (and the valves under them) are much smaller than those on the later 4bbl intake. It will work, but there won't be enough of a horsepower increase to pay for the hassle.

thnx,jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Edelbrock 1405 is a performance type carb setup for a manual choke. There is a electric choke kit available which just requires a feed (hot wire) to activate it. The 1406 is more set for economy (about 3%) better economy that the 1405. If you are looking for performance just go with the 1405 and the electric choke setup.

Comment

Hello from Studebakers Only in Arizona.
                        I make and sell the converted 2bbl-4bbl manifolds and a spacer/insulator to go with them. See pictures on www.studebakersonly.com. I have installed many on Studes as small as 232 with outstanding success. Probably 75 manifolds have gone out of my shop in the past 5 years. I suggest the use of the Edelbrock 1403 electric choke with a 1/2 inch spacer/insulator underneath to provide clearance for the throttle valve lever on the left side of the carb.
                        These carbs must be jetted down for either/both altitude and for engine size. I have gone down 4 or 5 jets/rods sizes when corrections for both altitude and engine size are needed.
                        If you'll contact me via the website I'll be glad to discuss this with you in detail.

Comment

Working...
                        X