switching from 2bbl to 4bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching from 2bbl to 4bbl

I found a 4bbl intake manifold in the parts that were given to me by the previous owner, and was wondering if its advisable to switch from the l 2bbl stromberg to a 4bbl carb

pros cons?

1964 daytona wagonaire 259 cid flight o matic

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

I found a 4bbl intake manifold in the parts that were given to me by the previous owner, and was wondering if its advisable to switch from the 2nnl stromberg to a 4bbl carb

pros cons?

1964 daytona wagonaire 259 cid flight o matic
    'Couldn't be much easier, Jason. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's one of the easier "bolt-ons" for a few extra ponies! You'll need to have the 4bbl throttle linkage, also (the arm that goes from the throttle bellcrank to the carb) - it's different for a 4bbl setup. Can't think of any "cons", really. With the 4bbl primary ports being smaller than the 2bbl ports, it's a bit better on fuel just puttin' around town. But when you need a little extra kick - just press on the accelerator. Yippie kiyaeeeee!

Paul

Comment

Is the manifold complete with a carb, linkage, air cleaner?

If the manifold is also from a '64, it will be take the AFB carb. It is also somewhat valuable since they do take this more high performance carb and were only used in 63 and 64.

If it is 62 or earlier, it will take a WCFB.

In either case, you will need different throttle linkage pieces, different air cleaner. You may have to readjust the throttle linkage to the trans.

If you don't have the carb with the manifold, finding one can be an issue since you will want one sized and jetted to the 259. Also, having one professionally rebuilt can get pricey.

Pro is the increased performance (I'd probably argue the increased fuel mileage claim). Cons are the trouble and expense.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:In either case, you will need different throttle linkage pieces,
          Not nesessarilly so.
          I swapped my 59 Larks 2 barrel for a 4 barrel (Edelbrock) with just an ajustment in the length of the arm. Works fine with the 4 barrel.

As for "advisable"...what do you mean "advisable"?
          Is it nesessary...no.
          Can the power level go up...yes it "can"...if tuned correctly.
          Can the milage get better/worse...yes it can...depending on how well/badly it's tuned and how you drive the car after the swap.

Mike

Comment

If it turns out to be a WCFB, the biggest problem you will have is that most of them are worn out by now. Any old carb you get will have to be kitted, and a WCFB kit will be expensive and may not help much. The original owner may have replaced this carb for that very reason. They are good carburetors if you get one that is not worn out, otherwise, just get an Edlebrock and be done with it.

Comment

1964 Daytona Wagonaire 259cid flight o matic with AC

Comment

Looks to have been hogged out to accommodate spread bore or AFB type carb.
                Kim

Comment

useable?, or is it now a boat anchor lol

Comment

J -

Your manifold started out as a two barrel manifold.
                    One thing the Stude guys to save a little money...one manifold...for two applications. No big deal...changed over all the time.

As for yours...it's plenty usable. Not pretty...but no one will see it with the cabruretor on it!

I'd have it sand blasted or shot peend to clean it up, use a rotory file or a small half round file to round off "all" of the inner sharp corners with as big a radius as you can put on the corners...to help the gas turn the corners, paint to match the engine and install.

You'll be fine.

Mike

Comment

so this is bascially what was done

so a Carter AFB is what would be recommended?
                      what model?
                      I have had good success on other cars with Edelbrocks because they are bolt on and go

Comment

Use the Edlebrock 500 CFM (I think 1405). You will need a spacer under it to lift it up high enough for the throttle linkage to rotate. Bolt on and go.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Use the Edlebrock 500 CFM (I think 1405). You will need a spacer under it to lift it up high enough for the throttle linkage to rotate. Bolt on and go.
                          259 cubic inches at 5,500 RPM wants about 340 CFM...

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

I think you could probably make it run with a 500 CFM carb, but maybe not out of the box.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

hmm, runs good as is with the 2bbl on it, I guess I cant leave well enough alone lol
                            just always looking for a little more performance

Comment

My son put an Edelbrock #1406 (600 cfm) on an engine that Mike Van Veghten did the head work on. It was an original 259. Has good upgrades and bored 30 over, runs great!

Comment

Working...
                              X