Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

BW T10-D 4-Speed Trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: BW T10-D 4-Speed Trans.

So I'm checking past maintenance records and find that I have put on 10k miles since I changed the trans oil. Should I plan on changing the oil, and if not how many miles should the oil have on it?
    I had a chat with the tech at RedLine and he suggested I re-fill if needed, with Redline 75W90 NS. Of those here with 4-speeds, what do you suggest?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.

I use redline MT 90. If you live in a colder climate, you may want MT L. 75W90 NS is GL5. I would not be comfortable using that in an older synchro trans.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I'll second the Redline MT90! It's the best for consistent effortless shifting, even when the trans. is cold.

Comment

Be sure to change it every 100,000 miles or 20 years, whichever comes first. Same interval you change the rear end oil.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          Be sure to change it every 100,000 miles or 20 years, whichever comes first. Same interval you change the rear end oil.
          Joe the Avanti shop manual "suggests" a change of oil every 10K miles, 100K miles seems a bit extended I would think , no?
          Additionally the shop manual does not suggest any change of the rear end oil, only checking it at 1K mile intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
            I use redline MT 90. If you live in a colder climate, you may want MT L. 75W90 NS is GL5. I would not be comfortable using that in an older synchro trans.
            Thanks for the feedback, it was a fellow at Redline named Dave who suggested 75W90NS, claiming it to be a superior oil for the BW T10D trans. The big question is do I have to change the oil at all, as the car has traveled 10k miles since the oil was last changed.

Comment

I have T85s in two Studes, and they are far more similar than different from the T-10. I use RedLine MT90 in both, and probably have never changed oil in either of them. Before I became ware of MT90, about 15 years ago, I used GL4 from FLAPS. I check them about once a year, and top up as needed. Never had a problem with either of them, and they still shift as smooth as ever. Same procedure for the model 44 rear ends, except I use Sta-Lube 85W140 in them.

The Lube Order was written for 1960s oil and road conditions. JMHO

Comment

Joe thanks for your experiences!

Comment

If you drive in deep water you should change it soon. No telling where old cars have been.

Comment

Ok I spoke to Redline today................was told to change the oil anytime between 40-50K miles.............the oil never wears out, but impurities do get into theoil over time which mandates a drain and re-fill.

Comment

Oil's OK, it is the stuff in it. My JD "60" sat in one place all last winter caust the shift lever would not move; the water in the bottom of the trans was frozen. Condensation forms in there and, unlike the crankcase, it stays there. Don't use mileage to change it but time--every 2-3 years would seem more that adq. even in NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                        Oil's OK, it is the stuff in it. My JD "60" sat in one place all last winter caust the shift lever would not move; the water in the bottom of the trans was frozen. Condensation forms in there and, unlike the crankcase, it stays there. Don't use mileage to change it but time--every 2-3 years would seem more that adq. even in NJ
                        Different parts of the country ( or world) requires different maintenance schedules.
                        I've never seen water in a transmission due to condensation.
                        Same with brake fluid.
                        I see where the guys/gals in the NE USA have to flush their brake system every couple years due to contaminated brake fluid. I'll bet a dollar to a donut not one out of one hundred cars here in the SE ever gets a brake system flush.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                        X