Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Recore or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes thermostat is a must, but it will not make your car run hotter. The function of a thermostat is to speed up the warm up process. Once the engine coolant reaches a certain temperature, it opens fully and then it becomes the radiator's job to do the rest. In other words it is either opened fully or closed fully, there is no in between. Like Joe, I use a thin piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. I have two pieces of different dimensions depending on the ambient temp and driving conditions. I painted them black to match the rad color, but if yours is aluminum, you might want to paint it gray of silver to match.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
      Plus 3 on the aluminum jeep/chevy radiator. I got this one, because of the top tank design. http://www.kksmotorsports.com/show.asp?id=698
      That's the one I bought for my Champ, but because I have power steering on a 6 cylinder truck (yep) the upper hose is in the wrong place because of the PS reservoir. I was impressed with the quality, but could not use it, sold it to another member but USPS bent it. But he found it did not leak, which tells me it's quality is better than most
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
        Plus 3 on the aluminum jeep/chevy radiator. I got this one, because of the top tank design. http://www.kksmotorsports.com/show.asp?id=698
        +4 on the Jeep radiator. I installed this same one on my Hawk and it fits pretty close. The height is shorter, so there is about a 2" gap in the bottom which I plan on sealing with a piece of foam. I also had to use a flex hose with the proper i.d. to fit, but it seems very sturdy and is fitting well with little modification. Check out my thread for pictures and my modifications.

Comment

Working...
        X