Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hub Puller for rear brakes 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Hub Puller for rear brakes 1950 Champion

Hi - can anyone point me to a source for a hub puller for the rear brakes? another post suggested J-1644-B or J-1644-Sbut i can not find a source...is there an alternative easily available? will this universal one work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-H...ty!95123!US!-1 Patrick

Amazon has them:
    Cal-Van Tools 94800 Hub Puller $74. The side hammer type didn't work for me. You may find an auto parts store that will rent or loan them.

Comment

Call Russ @ Studebakerparts.com, He bought out Chuck Collins, and the one Chuck made up is FANTASTIC! I used one on a Packard hawk, and had both drums off in less then 10 minutes! I already had the wheels off.
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

You guys might be missing the OP's point. He has a hub with FOUR studs. A three legged puller will not pull a four lug hub. It will tilt sideways. A three legged puller needs a triangular base stud pattern wherein any side of the triangle does not pass through the center of the hub.

When I needed to pull my four lug Rambler hubs, I had a heavy steel adapter plate made with four holes for the Rambler hub and three studs for the puller.

You can also use the round puller that Studebaker used, instead of the three legged puller that is commonly found nowadays.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-08-2019, 03:16 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Studebakerparts.com does have the four-stud pullers for rent or sale.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...age=tools.html

Comment

There are the 3 legged style that the legs slide around. Some of those can be made 4 leggers if you can find the 4th leg.

Comment

In my earlier days when I had nothing I had to get the job done so I fabricated a chain around a crankshaft and attached it to the drum or hub with bolts and swung the crankshaft as hard as I could and wamo the drum was off, it wasn't pretty but it worked.

Comment

kinda the same way I pulled the fender off the door on the '57 I had before I replaced the front fender. .... Chain to a tree and back up fast. Whammo

Comment

Might end up with axle damage with out proper puller, but its your car.

Comment

I used just 2 arms of puller on 49 hub, balanced pull but got it.

Comment

Working...
                    X