Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Painting Disk Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: Painting Disk Wheels

As of two days ago I am the owner of a very, very original 1922 Stude Big Six Speedster. It has six disk wheels (two side mounts) that are painted in red primer (see photo). Knowing I want to finish painting them black to match the car, question is does anyone has suggestions on the type of paint and finish (flat, semigloss, gloss) that I should go with for a certain level of originality? Should I clear coat them? The primer is in good condition and I know I'd have to prep the primer (roughen it up).
    (As an aside, I believe disk wheels were in general an option back then, anybody know if they would have been standard on a Big Six Speedster?)

What paint is on the body?

Comment

The original paint from '22. Somewhat faded and oxidized but I am carefully bringing it back. I'll have to look up what the original paint was.

Comment

Are you certain the red paint currently on your wheels is primer. Since your body paint is original (faded and oxidized), could you be seeing original red finish paint (faded and oxidized) on your wheels? John

Comment

It's primer as the fella I bought it from told me he had the wheels stripped and painted with a primer.

Comment

Working...
          X