Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

56 Hawk Water Temp Sender Info Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: 56 Hawk Water Temp Sender Info Needed

I need to change the water temp sender in my Sky Hawk, but its a real bear to get to. However, there is a block off plate on the rear of the passenger side cylinder head, which is identical to the one which holds the sender on the driver side head. This is MUCH easier to get to. Not wanting to pay $30 for the mounting plate for a sender, I'm going to drill/tap the blank driver side plate and install a new sender. What I need to know is what the thread size is for the sender. I assume it is a NPT size...anyone know what it is?

My stock one was 1/4"NPT, Both (I have two) I currently have installed are 1/8"NPT. If you're not one to freak out over it being absolutely stock, you can very easily install it in the water manifold. There are 3/8"NPT bosses on it's top, adapter "bushings" are available. I have noticed some are not drilled and tapped on the drivers side, it's easy to do though if you have the tools.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885a.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1804752
    Last edited by bensherb; 10-01-2019, 10:25 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

bensherb - I don't have anything like that on mine...56 289....

Comment

Sorry, I don't know all the idiosyncrasies from year to year. I just have a bunch of parts that are from either '53, '56, or '61 thru '64. I've never been concerned with factory originality, so it's all a jumble. The '61 was a Lark, so some of those parts are easier to discern.
        sigpic

Comment

As mentioned above it is 1/4 pipe, you probably already know but don't all the way through with the tap only far enough to make a good taper fit. I am playing with the same thing but I am changing mine over to a 6 volt unit with a 1/2 pipe thread. You will need a 7/16 drill bit. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02982.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1805218Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02984.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1805219

Comment

Working...
          X