Hard Steering Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drifter22 View Post
    I would like to get the shift rods out of the steering column.

Thanks, Gene
    There are no shift "rods" in the column. There is a tube. The shift lever basically plugs into the top of the tube. At the bottom of the tube there is a "dog" that engauges the shift arms.

I've changed them from stick to auto , but don't remember much about how the bottom end is assembled exactly; But if you remove the steering wheel you can see how the turn switch is assembled in order to remove it, I think '62 has three screws, then there are two clamp bolts that hold on the upper bell, their head is slipped into a hole in the outer tube with a nut you can see. The shift lever pivot pin holds it in, remove it and the lower bell slides off. There are bushings and washers, some above and below the bell, keep tract of their locations.

You should be able to remove the column without dismantling it by removing the steering wheel, unbolting it at the box, unbolting the hanger from the dash, disconnecting the wires under the dash and sliding it up off the steering shaft. It's usually easier if you slide the dash bracket down as you go, sometimes it'll clear the edge of the dash if you rotate it upside down , somtimes it won't.

There are full breakdowns in the body parts manual.

Comment

I thank you for the detailed information. I'm going to dig into this next Monday. I have to work on the pasture fence next couple days, cows got out and there is swap meet this weekend in Sumter Co. Florida I want to go to.
      Thanks for your help, Gene
      Gene Shambaugh

Comment

If the caster is off can be har to steer. NO ONE knows how to align a Studebaker!

Comment

I got the steering wheel off and the top bell bolts are out, turn signal loose, but I can not get enough slack in the wires to remove them from the shaft. I tried turning the wheels by grabbing the tires and moving them back and forth. It turned so easy that it didn't seem like they were connected to any thing. I just wonder if that top bell was just tighten to much on one side and was binding the shaft. It's just pot metal tho, you think it would be strong enough to do that? I'm going to work on the wires little more, there are 8 of them and if I can't get some more slack, I'll put it back together a watch the steering as I tighten those bolts down.
          Gene Shambaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
            NO ONE knows how to align a Studebaker!
            There's 7.7 BILLION people on this planet. I'm sure there's at least one that can align a Studebaker.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

WOW!

Looks like as new as in 1953
              Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1804603.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1806707

Comment

Doesn't look like 1953 with radial tires .
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had a local shop do my alignment on the 60 Hawk. It had been all rebuilt with new bushings, king pins, tie rods, etc. He let me help, (we're friends) and the whole process was simple. We used the settings in the manual, made the adjustments, and the car drives beautiful with new bias tires. Also the steering wheel is in the correct position while driving straight down the road. His shop has modern alignment equipment, so any shop SHOULD be able to do an alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                    His shop has modern alignment equipment, so any shop SHOULD be able to do an alignment.
                    Any shop that takes pride in their work and cares as much about doing a good job as in making a buck! Good luck finding one. There are none in this small town of almost 100,000.

Comment

WOW!

Looks like as new as in 1953
                      It's a1962.
                      I think I got the hard steering fixed. I did what HarryHawk said, after I took the steering wheel and the top bell off it turned really good, but I notice the steering shaft was at the top of the hole in the column and you had to pull pretty hard to get it to center. I loosing the steering box and the clamp at the steering box. I took the clamp off under the dash. There were couple shims there pushing the column down. I removed them and pulled down hard on the shaft and it would stay pretty close to center. I put the clamp under the dash minus the shims and tightened it down and put the bell and the turn signal back in place. They should of had more room in the column for those wires. When I tighten some thing I checked the tires to see if they still turned OK. Then I tighten the steering box and the lower clamp and it still turned easy. I haven't drove it tho, but it was always very hard to turn the wheels when on the hoist by grabbing the front tires and turning them.
                      I put the battery cable back on and the right front turn signal blinked, no matter where the turn signal lever was. I pulled and wiggle them rechecked the switch but nothing changed the blinker, the left front only just kept blinking! Seems like it's always something! This could be a real hair ball problem to fix.
                      Gene Shambaugh

Comment

Well I thought I would take it for a drive, I put the steering wheel back and as soon s I tighten it down it turned hard, worst then it was. I pulled every thing out. I got a pair of pliers yanked the wires out, got the bells off and pulled the shift tube out!! I put the steering wheel on at this point and tighten it down and low and behold it steered like a dream! Now to get it back together right!
                        Gene Shambaugh

Comment

Next time try it with the steering wheel only finger tight. It sounds like the steering wheel might be pulling down too far and binding against the column.

Comment

I got the steering wheel back on and the turn signal housing and the bell below it are just set over the steering column, not tighten down and it steers and drives GREAT! Never turned that easy. I mounted the turn signal switch to a board and tested it with an ohm meter. The right side checked out OK, but the left rear does not ohm out. Every thing looks good, but it will not make the left rear light, the wire connection in the switch look good. The right front light works. I changed the little slide blocks inside the switch, nothing changed. They both looked good and the same. I can send power to the lights and they all work as they should, blink OK. I'm going drive it some and think about it and see if I can figure it out. But if anybody has an idea, give me a shout.
                            Gene Shambaugh

Comment

Working...
                            X