Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Repairing dash on ‘57 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Repairing dash on ‘57 hawk

How does one get the knobs off the heat/cool control sliders? Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190927_102246848.jpg Views:	43 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	1804207
    Last edited by showbizkid; 09-28-2019, 11:39 PM.

Pull hard, they are just friction fitted, at least that has been my experience in disassembling two Hawk dash boards. Good luck. I ruined most of the heater/defrost/light switches trying to get the little "nuts" off plus the switches didn't age very well.

Comment

Yes, mine pulled straight off. A small heel bar, or two, with some padding, should pop them off. Several vendors sell the tool for the nuts, and replacement nuts are available. If you can save the old switches, and clean them up, I believe that they are much better quality than the repops.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did destroy one of the switches. Where can I get replacements?

Comment

I used Studebaker Parts.com. They have most switches, and the ones I ordered were NOS. They are in Arizona, so a little quicker for us west coast people.

Comment

It looks the same as the ones in my '62GT, and my GT ones do not "just pull off" unless you've destroyed their retainer clip. Inside the knob there is a spring clip that does just slide ON, but then locks into a groove in the switch lever. Once you figure them out they come off real easy. On the back surface of the knob (hidden by it) there is a tab that you move to release the knob, I just don't remember if you move it tward the switch lever or away from it (up or down). It doesn't move far and the knob slides right off.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X